How do you find the bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kim

Reaction score
Hi Everybody
Since I have been researching bottles and understand that they come off old dumps etc, I am curious to see what tools you all use to locate a bottle. As an active gold prospector there must be numerous dumps in the old timers camps and around the old homes. We often find artifacts from years ago but when we dig we use the pick and I wouldn't think that this would be the way to get a bottle. It would be great to see some pics. Often glass comes out of a hole that has been dug for gold.
Thanks heaps
Kim

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Kim and all,
I, not long ago, threw together a page with some digging tools listed. The page and tool listing is incomplete, but should give you a brief idea. Click on this link:

http://members.aol.com/meechuta/tools.html

mysonthedigger

Reaction score
Thanks for the informative 'tool' page! Great site you have. My son and husband began digging about a year ago and are looking to become more involved. I just showed them your page and they loved it. Off to get some x-tra long screw drivers! LOL.

Thanks again,
Barbie

crozet86

Reaction score
Hi,
I always like to check out the creekbanks or banks behind old homesites.Also,make
sure you look for indentations in the yard as this may be an old privy.Another place ive found really nice bottles is under porches and in old dirt cellars.

Eddie

jeanie

Reaction score

I live at the jersey shore where i found a wetland on the bay that has produced over 200 old bottles over the years. I did some research to find that they weren't buried there but were washed ashore from an island not too far out into the bay. Called Woods Island where people used to vacation on and bury their trash. Many of the finds are apothecary bottles and some with the NYC pharmacy names embossed on them along with the addresses of the establishments. I have become very interested in the finds and hope to be able to share with you...
This is where i find them...Pik 1 and the island where they were buried...Pik 2
4bottles2.jpg
woodsisle.jpg

There was a space between

jeanie

Reaction score
[ul]
Picture #2 didn't show up..
This is the island where the bottles were buried. Hoping to kayak out to it this
summer and go right to the source..
No need to waste bandwidth...admin.
corrected my previous booboo :eek:)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp