How much for a bottle!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

oz-riley

Reaction score
Hi All,
I thought I would tell you about an experience I had last week.

I advertise in a local newspaper every now and again for old and antique bottle, in the hope of adding some new bottles to my collection.

I never get many calls but I have found some good bottles in the past, anyway I received a call and the lady told me she had seen my advert and had a few bottles.

The bottles were:

A Kruze's Milk of Magnesia, very common worth $1.00au if you can get that.
A Cobalt Blue Castor Oil, worth $12.00au.
And a Schweppes Torpedo, with the Oxford St London address, worth $100.00au.

I was interested in the Torpedo as they are a nice bottle, I was about to make a time to go and have a look at the condition when the lady told me that unless I was willing to pay $150,000.00au for the bottle not to bother coming to see her.

I enquired as to why she felt this bottle was worth so much money and was promptly told that she had seen a picture on the front page of the newspaper of a man holding a torpedo bottle about four years ago and this is the value the paper had on it.

I was not game to ask what she wanted for the other two bottles for fear of laughing out loud.

I politely told her that it was a little out of my league and said she should try the Melbourne Museum.

I spent the next 10 minutes lying on the floor laughing.

Chris

bottle_girl

Reaction score
Wow that was hilarious! Kinda like a few days ago when I was at one of those outside-open markets where the seller is sitting right there at the booth and you can discuss prices and stuff, and I was amazed to see what she was doing.

This lady had $10.00 (usa) on a Milk of Magnesia bottle (screw top and all, lucky to get a buck at a flea market), she had "rare and old antique bottle" label on one of those Chas H. Fletcher's Castoria bottles (I have three, I find them all the time for $3 or less) and she wanted $15.00 (and she thought that was low! ha ha) and to top it all off.... the grand finale....

She had one of these (like my picture) - a Dr. Fisch's Bitters glass that says MADE IN TAIWAN on the bottom.... for $30.00 - labeled as "old and rare bitters bottle". It was in a glass box and everything. I just laughed and told her I'd give her a $1 and she glared at me because other customers heard me and walked away from her booth.

BOTTLE GIRL

Bz77010.jpg

Attachments

• Bz77010.jpg
    Bz77010.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 143

Relicsnstuff

Reaction score
Hello all;
I 'am starting to see this type of thing on ebay more and more. Not to long ago some one had a wine bottle listed as rare, starting bid was $49.95 and they had a buy it now for $100.00. I thought about all the ones we had dug over the years an would have been glad to get $5.00 for them. I also see what some folks are calling pontil marks on bottles that are from the late 1800's to early 1900's. or repro's. I guess if one does not know alot about bottles it may be wise for then to reseach or seek the advise from others who have been in the hobby a while before buying. I guess its a little of some folks not knowing and some trying to make a fast buck.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis