How much is too much?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I buy bottles that I’ll never find but want to have. If I never bought anything - I wouldn’t have much worth keeping.

I’ve been buying cathedral peppersauce bottles lately - and I’ve never found one
Don't know how cathedal this one is but i think it is very cool. It is Durkee pepper sauce Pat. Feb. 1874. I would love to see pictures of some of the ones you have. ROBBYBOBBY64.
IMG_20200515_075853.jpg
IMG_20200515_075453.jpg

yacorie

Reaction score
Only picture on my phone - can add others later when I’m home

Attachments

• 7F84CEA1-1B05-4593-AC23-2A15DC861C0C.jpeg
    7F84CEA1-1B05-4593-AC23-2A15DC861C0C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 182

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Only picture on my phone - can add others later when I’m home
That's What i thought. They are the Ones church looking windows On them. I love them all. Thank you very much for the picture. Yacorie.

cheromike

Reaction score
I paid $10.00 once for a $100.00 Chero-Cola soda bottle on eBay. But that was because the seller did not understand the rarity of what he had. Is it ethical to take advantage of a someone like that? Or should you inform him of his error?

American

Reaction score
We all love bottles, obviously or we would not be here. I know we all have limitations due to various circumstances. What is the most you ever paid for a bottle? Also what is the most you were ever paid for one you found? No i don't work for the IRS! Okay now this no time to let common sense and fear slow you down! What do you got? ROBBYBOBBY64
It's necessary to have done personal extensive research on antique glass, as in years. but generally the more you spend on a single bottle, the better. If you do your homework you will at least break even. So if you have thousands to buy a bottle, do it. I have been spending and selling many thousands of dollars worth of bottles. My sales just on ebay are about $200k and I probably cleared $30K pure profit out of that. That is over the course of several years of course.

mrosman

Reaction score
Hi RobbyBobby, Good question. In my book "Krinkly to Mae West" on Orange Crush bottles I have a whole section on "How Much is This Worth?"..... basically the answer is simple - it is only worth that which a buyer is willing to pay!!. I write a "range" of price is more appropriate.... price is only a number!! Most ardent or specialized collectors are very knowledgeable about prices... there are so many determining factors from how common, to condition etc. etc. Appearance in the market, condition of the bottle, etc. etc. create a variation, not to mention how often is that item seen and available for purchase. I do not agree with Petretti's method of grading a bottle - if a bottle is uncommon, and you don't have it for your extensive and specialized collection, you will probably be willing to pay more for it, even if there are slight 'defects' bringing it's "grade" down. I feel that a range of price is more appropriate - very rare, rare, common, very common. All it comes down to - are you a serious collector or a 'casual' collector..... the serious collectors are looking for something that they are missing in their collection, or want that item in better 'shape'. A casual collector might just be beginning and should seek help and/or advice. Reading the descriptions on Ebay etc., is very deceiving - all those sellers are doing is try and make money and their descriptions are often inaccurate and/or they describe something as 'rare' which it is not. Get advice and/or help.... that's the best advice I can give you. My book "Krinkly to Mae West" had been on Ebay and Kijiji for a couple of years - only on Orange Crush which I collected for almost 40 years.... now retired from collecting but still follow O.C. closely..... hope that helps. Good luck, Michael

dh1786

Reaction score
bought a tudor rose masons patent for $100 and gave it away as a gift ... and a pristine BBGMCO jar for 200. i usually haggle a bit, but sometimes i just need to have it. its ok if they never gain value, the joy i get from collecting is worth it.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I paid $10.00 once for a $100.00 Chero-Cola soda bottle on eBay. But that was because the seller did not understand the rarity of what he had. Is it ethical to take advantage of a someone like that? Or should you inform him of his error?
I payed $26 marked down from $99 for a pepsi bottle valued at $850. Don't feel too bad. ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac