Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

How old is this bottle please

sandchip

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2008
4,970
113
Georgia
Muriatic is nasty and not very effective. Pour a mix of draino/lye/water inside for a day and it'll rinse out clean. Then save the mix because, though it'll look dirty, it can be used over and over.
Effective, depending on what you're trying to dissolve. I've used it with plenty of success for 35 years and with the same batch at that.
 

GLASSHOPPER55

Well-Known Member
Feb 23, 2015
551
28
LaPorte County, Indiana
Effective, depending on what you're trying to dissolve. I've used it with plenty of success for 35 years and with the same batch at that.
But very nasty. The fumes alone corrode any shiny metal in the area very quickly. I accidently left a bottle in a container of it in my garage open and within a day it ruined most chrome in my garage including the exhaust tips on my car. Imagine what it can do to skin/lungs if an accident happens. I'll stick to what I've used since 1969. Much safer and less noxious. And no horrible fumes that burn your nose.
 
Last edited:

JerryN

Well-Known Member
Nov 22, 2012
46
8
I have had success with denture cleaner. i immerse the bottle in water and then add a tablet or two with some of the tablet inside the bottle. Then I leave it overnight. The next day with a sponge and bottle brush I am able to get most if not all of the accumulated dirt and sludge off.
 

Yimbo

Member
Dec 28, 2015
10
1
From my own experience don't put Draino in any bottle, I did this years ago to an old square short ink bottle and it exploded from the heat. Luckily it was in the basement on a concrete floor. Once I poured the water in it heated up really fast and shattered.
 

LalaGirl

Active Member
Apr 7, 2020
43
8
I can't add much to Leon's comment, but that's a great find. That's just the kind of stuff you want to be finding. Also check the attic, crawlspace, every nook and cranny that you can think of. As far as cleaning, I'd probably start with a Q-tip dipped in different solvents until I figured out what would cut whatever is inside. Start with soapy water, alcohol, lighter fluid or mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, acetone (nail polish remover), etc., and even muriatic acid. No dishwasher! Once you find what cuts the crud, fill it with that solvent and let it soak for a few days. Pour out all but about an inch and a half, add about an inch of coarse sand, thumb over the top and shake ever which way until it's clean. Be patient and be careful! Hopefully, the milder solvents will do the trick, but who knows what the stuff is? I've seen old bottles filled with varnish. If you've never worked with some of the solvents I mentioned, I'd just leave it as is. Clean or not, it's a great oldie.

Beautiful view from the porch!
Doesn't sand, especially coarse, scratch glass?
 

Huntindog

Well-Known Member
Aug 14, 2012
104
18
Muriatic acid eats glass!! Do Not leave it in there for more than a few minutes and rinse Well.
Don't forget to wear your PPE... Gloves, goggles and mask.
 

sandchip

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2008
4,970
113
Georgia
Muriatic acid eats glass!! Do Not leave it in there for more than a few minutes and rinse Well.
Don't forget to wear your PPE... Gloves, goggles and mask.
No, it (muriatic/hydrochloric acid) does not eat glass. After 35 years of using it, I think I would've noticed, and many times, I leave it in there for days. Hydrofluoric acid does etch glass, though.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
76,556
Messages
696,344
Members
18,297
Latest member
NoTime4Dreams
Top