How old is this bottle please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
From my own experience don't put Draino in any bottle, I did this years ago to an old square short ink bottle and it exploded from the heat. Luckily it was in the basement on a concrete floor. Once I poured the water in it heated up really fast and shattered.

You got that right. Its heat of solution with water is highly exothermic and has been know to shatter "turlets" too, as Archie Bunker would say.

I'm glad you weren't hurt in that incident.

EDIT: I went back and read Glasshopper's post. The key to using Draino, as he said, is to "pour the mix" into the bottle. I read this to mean, mix the two components in a plastic container, and let cool, then you'd be good to go. As long as you don't introduce the two to each other in a breakable vessel, everything should be fine.

Last edited:

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
From my own experience don't put Draino in any bottle, I did this years ago to an old square short ink bottle and it exploded from the heat. Luckily it was in the basement on a concrete floor. Once I poured the water in it heated up really fast and shattered.

Well, in MY experience of using my 3-part Drano/Lye/Water MIX (note:MIX), since forever I've never had anything like that happen. Besides, the bottle is left open, so there is NO compression to begin with. Heck, I keep my mix in a glass jug and that has a plastic cap. No problems, ever, ever.

jarhead67

Reaction score
The classic orange shellac residue. Very common to see, especially in New England area re-purposed bottles. It was a favorite to preserve wood trim and sash.

sandchip

Reaction score
If it's shellac, denatured alcohol should be your solvent. Fill it and let it sit.

Csa

Reaction score
If it is shellac, Ammonia is a solvent for shellac for sure. From my old hardware store days. Yellow shellac and white pigmented shellac can be cleaned/dissolved with ammonia.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi