How to clean those metal marks caused by shovel

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Slowmovangogh

Reaction score
Does anyone have a trick for cleaning off those little silver streaks that get left on the glass when you scratch across a bottle with a shovel or other metal tool? Aside from a bottle tumbler.

Attachments

• PXL_20210520_140353585.jpg
    PXL_20210520_140353585.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 145

Slowmovangogh

Reaction score
I'm not talking about scratches. When a bottle has a metal implement rub against it, it leaves a streak of metal on the glass. This is actual metal adhering to the glass as far as I can tell. I was able to lighten up a few with a magic eraser but not actually get rid of them entirely. I was hoping someone had a trick. I might try a little muriatic acid of something like that but figured I should ask the community before pulling out the chemicals.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I'm not talking about scratches. When a bottle has a metal implement rub against it, it leaves a streak of metal on the glass. This is actual metal adhering to the glass as far as I can tell. I was able to lighten up a few with a magic eraser but not actually get rid of them entirely. I was hoping someone had a trick. I might try a little muriatic acid of something like that but figured I should ask the community before pulling out the chemicals.
I know what you are talking about...it's a sort of silvery black mark. Usually there is a scratch in the glass underneath it as well, but black/silvery mark makes the underlying scratch really stand out. I've not had much luck getting those off; even muriatic won't do it. It's part of why you see so many people digging with sticks or antlers. Unfortunately when I dig those are not practical but I use a "2-prong" (manure fork with 2 outside tines cut off) that enables me to be a little more surgical and thus scratch my shovel on less bottles.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I know what you are talking about...it's a sort of silvery black mark. Usually there is a scratch in the glass underneath it as well, but black/silvery mark makes the underlying scratch really stand out. I've not had much luck getting those off; even muriatic won't do it. It's part of why you see so many people digging with sticks or antlers. Unfortunately when I dig those are not practical but I use a "2-prong" (manure fork with 2 outside tines cut off) that enables me to be a little more surgical and thus scratch my shovel on less bottles.
That's because it's a scratch. A very light scratch, which is damage to the surface of the glass.

Toma777

Reaction score
I'd practice on something you don't care about first, and try a mild abrasive like Baking Soda, which is great for cleaning porcelain.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
If it isn't a scratch, i would just machine buff it off with a hard felt pad with some polishing compound. I use a 4" grinder with the felt pad. Use water. If i get metal marks from the trowel or float on marble or granite i can buff what ever doesn't wipe off.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 16220293185444986058182686087086.jpg
    16220293185444986058182686087086.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member