How to find insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

planeguy2

Reaction score
How do I find insulators? I never have good luck when looking for and digging for them.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I don't look for them or dig for them but i find them by accident. sometimes you'll still find them on the top of old telephone polls. LEON.
DCFUNKEinsulatoringround.JPG

planeguy2

Reaction score
Nice, where do you find the old poles?

nhpharm

Reaction score
I always had the best luck along railroad tracks along rivers...seems like the linemen liked to throw them in the river but often they ended up on the banking going down to the river. Regardless, along old railroad beds are probably the best.

steviep

Reaction score
Around in here in eastern Connecticut, before they turned the old train tracks into "Nature, Walking Trails" we'd find them on the ground next to poles. We used to find a bunch of them in the Bolton and Coventry area in CT. Maybe you can find old maps that show railways in your area?

planeguy2

Reaction score
I do have maps but there wasn't many rail lines in my area.

RCO

Reaction score
i don't think that I've ever specifically looked for them , found them randomly . mostly along old railways , maybe old farms . mostly found really common ones , only ever found 1 or 2 legitimately old ones

JenyLuvsDigging

Reaction score
How do I find insulators? I never have good luck when looking for and digging for them.
I live in Illinois. I walk the old railroad tracks by the river & find them all the time. Many are still on the poles. You in Illinois? I have a ton of old insulators & would be happy to give you some. :)

planeguy2

Reaction score
Good news, I was dropping some stuff off to a friend and asked to peek in his woods. I found a whole pole of green and clear hemingray 42s back there!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis