Howdy All!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ranman

Reaction score
Greetings from Chicago! I'm not a bottle collector, but certainly understand the collector mentality with over 175 cigarette lighters, too many watches, 8mm film projectors and a few other collections.

I'm hoping maybe you fine folks can help me with something. The backstory is that I recently reconnected with my birth families, and after 64 years have a biological connection with my past. A part of that is on one side of my birth families they were druggists in Pennsylvania, opening a pharmacy in 1890 or so. In the process of researching all that I ran across a bottle from their store on eBay, and of course snatched it up. I have since then found two more. They are all different and I have found out approximate manufacturing dates of 1890 to around 1925. I was hoping that maybe you fine folks might be able to narrow those date ranges down. It's kind of a kick holding something that could well passed through the hands of my great-grandfather or possibly my grandfather over 100 years ago as he took over the business after his father retired..

The coloring is just water and a touch of food dye to give them a little pop sitting on my shelf.

The brown one is marked W.T CO with either a letter or number embossed in the center, but it's barely stamped and impossible to say exactly what it is.
The purple one is marked W.T. & Company with no other marks.
The green one is marker with a T C W and the logo with ATD stamped in it.

All the bottles have seams running up both sides.

Any insights you guys might have would be appreciated. It would be fun to be able to tell folks who ask a little more detail on the bottles.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_6184.jpg
    IMG_6184.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6188.jpg
    IMG_6188.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6191.jpg
    IMG_6191.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6192.jpg
    IMG_6192.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6194.jpg
    IMG_6194.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6195.jpg
    IMG_6195.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Howdy! And welcome to the site! Your related to John F. Bond druggist? Great to find family history. Those marks are a bottle manufacturers mark. Whitall-tatum & Co. of Millville, N.J.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

willong

Reaction score
All the bottles have seams running up both sides.
Welcome to the site, and congratulations on making those connections.

What those seams do up around the lips of the bottles are more relevant than their mere presence. Mouth blown and hand finished bottles--antique bottle collectors often use abbreviations BIM and/or BIMAL for "blown in mold" and "blown in mold, applied lip"--will have mold seams quite similar to machine made bottles, but that are wiped out by hand tooling processes in the neck and lip area of bottles so produced.

Ranman

Reaction score
Howdy! And welcome to the site! Your related to John F. Bond druggist?
Not John F. Bond but John T. Bond. I actually miscalculated. John was my great- great grandfather and got into the pharmacy biz after the civil war. His son Herbert took over the store after John passed away in 1911. The store was closed in 1932 due to the great depression though Herbert Jr. who was also a druggist continued in the trade until the 1960s.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Not John F. Bond but John T. Bond. I actually miscalculated. John was my great- great grandfather and got into the pharmacy biz after the civil war. His son Herbert took over the store after John passed away in 1911. The store was closed in 1932 due to the great depression though Herbert Jr. who was also a druggist continued in the trade until the 1960s.
It must be a misprint. It was a 1890 list. Scroll down to businesses.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Ranman

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, and congratulations on making those connections.

What those seams do up around the lips of the bottles are more relevant than their mere presence. Mouth blown and hand finished bottles--antique bottle collectors often use abbreviations BIM and/or BIMAL for "blown in mold" and "blown in mold, applied lip"--will have mold seams quite similar to machine made bottles, but that are wiped out by hand tooling processes in the neck and lip area of bottles so produced.
It seemed like seams were worth mentioning, as you said their configuration seems to give some indication of age from some reading I did. I tried to get pictures of the bottle's sides but the seaming is pretty subtle and didn't really show in the pics. I can say on the purple bottle the seams are centered and run up to the neck where you can see see them but they are almost flush. The green bottle's seams are actually offset from center by maybe 30% and run all the way to the top of the bottle. The brown one's seams disappear on the curve leading up to the neck but are centered on the bottle.

Ranman

Reaction score
It must be a misprint. It was a 1890 list. Scroll down to businesses.
No surprise there. I read through many old census records while tracking all this down and since it was handwritten back then there was plenty of room for mistakes to be sure. As I remember they spelled my grandmother's name wrong on the record I found that finally led me to the family.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
It seemed like seams were worth mentioning, as you said their configuration seems to give some indication of age from some reading I did. I tried to get pictures of the bottle's sides but the seaming is pretty subtle and didn't really show in the pics. I can say on the purple bottle the seams are centered and run up to the neck where you can see see them but they are almost flush. The green bottle's seams are actually offset from center by maybe 30% and run all the way to the top of the bottle. The brown one's seams disappear on the curve leading up to the neck but are centered on the bottle.
Here are some links may answer some of your questions.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac