Hudson valley weekend score

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
[attachment=IMG_5754.JPG] So, I was up the Hudson, near Newburgh this past weekend looking at houses, and visiting friends when I came across a construction site where a few houses had been leveled. I was out with my wife and 1 year old boy, so I didn't have a shovel or gloves or anything, but I had a go of it anyway while my better half continued onto the store we had been aiming for. I kicked around the dirt for a few minutes and was approached by the owner of the property. I told him the story, looking for old bottles etc... and he was like, yeah cool, have at it. So I continued with my dirt kicking. Just off from the center of the lot I spied a smear of ashy stuff in the freshly leveled dirt, and a few shards so I started kicking the dirt where the smear started with greater intensity. Before long I had three broken Codd bottles, and a bunch of headless blob tops. Just then I noticed that my wife had returned, and I would have to abandon this spot. I just knew there was intact bottles in that shardy ashy deposit. On our way out I spoke with the property owner again, and asked if I could come back with a shovel, and he said sure. So now I had to find a shovel, and the time to have another go of it. The next day I was able to secure about 40 minutes, and with a borrowed shovel with a dry rotted handle I hit the spot again. This time I pulled some goodies...

Attachments

• eb9312086ec749f6986ba5a0cd0b7743.jpg
    eb9312086ec749f6986ba5a0cd0b7743.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 73

2find4me

Reaction score
So many Gravitating Stoppers, Hutches, & Codds make for a KILLER dig! Congrats Digger Dun on your amazing finds! Are you going back for more?

ScottBSA

Reaction score
What a cool accidental discovery. Is that an American Codd bottle? So glad the property owner was not a Grinch. Scott

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
Yeah, Codds in America, who'd a thunk. there were at least 6 broken Codds in that massive shard deposit, I saved the most intact one. I'm going to give the spot another shot this weekend, cuz we're putting an offer in on a house in town, so wish me luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis