Huge Hillside Private Farm Dump - Need Advice

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Your second image appears to show water -- a lake, perhaps -- at the bottom of the slope. A perceptual phenomenon, I guess.
. . . You were at the bottom of the slope looking up, and the "water" is actually sky? Must be.
Ah, I see your point, it looks like mist on a lake, but, as John Lennon imagined: "Above us, only sky"...

RCO

Reaction score
have you seen any evidence of old bottles ? did they indicate if the dump has ever been dug before ?

usually at large dumps it be more obvious by now where they dumped things but I've been to old farms before and walked around and looked everywhere and not found 1 thing

hemihampton

Reaction score
If there ever was a dump there, there should be some evidence. at least some broken glass shards on the surface, rusty cans, ect, ect. I wouldn't dig any where with no obvious evidence something is there. Keep looking, walk the whole hillside. LEON.

RCO

Reaction score
If there ever was a dump there, there should be some evidence. at least some broken glass shards on the surface, rusty cans, ect, ect. I wouldn't dig any where with no obvious evidence something is there. Keep looking, walk the whole hillside. LEON.

kind of feel the same way too , if the site was being used heavily and for that long , should be some evidence visible in that general area of a dump .

especially 40's or 50's era dumping , more possible older 1870's - 1900's era stuff might be well hidden but newer stuff likely wouldn't

Greg1780

Reaction score
Gravity can’t be ignored. The oldest items would move to the bottom of the hill.

Kheidecker

Reaction score
If u cant find dump I would get a probe and find the homestead and look for the privy there usely within 50 ft of homestead downhill away from the water supply.usely to the east of homestead so the stink didnt blow towards house. Or if there is a creek or a body of water close to the homestead that be a good place to look also.if you find privy here should be numerous holes in same general location. Good luck and would love to see any findings

Kheidecker

Reaction score
If these was a house there before running there will be privys.on average say 1940's.find them an you will find 1940s an deaper ya go all the way 1840 if info is correct. There's good videos on YouTube that show you how to find them privys also

American

Reaction score
Yeah, you need a probe. A hundred feet is too much area to be digging deep trenches through roots haphazardly. My experience with hillsides has been good, but I the good stuff was always very deep.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
I’ve found a large area of the slope with considerable surface items of all descriptions, the older items being 10’s & 20’s. Going to wait for the early fall to start excavating - I’ll update when good things appear...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky