Hutchinson bottle capacity in fluid ounces (?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
I have a total of 1 Hutchinson bottle. My collection is deco crown-caps, but I wanted an example Hutchinson bottle, so I bought one. It is 7 and 3/16 inches tall. Deco crown-caps collecting concerns the size of the bottles in fluid ounce capacity. For example, if you have the 6oz, then you're missing the 7oz and 9oz sizes, etc.

Hutchinsons don't seem to ever have their capacity marked on them. It's probably before any law required it, or something.

I'm curious anyway. I have a nice little plastic graduated cylinder that measures up to 10oz with 1/4 ounce markings. I poured 6oz into the Hutchinson bottle. It definitely looked a tad low. I poured in an additional ounce, which brought the level up to just below the bottle's shoulder. I then poured in an additional 1/2 ounce, and that brought it up to the top of the bottle's shoulder. That looked like a bit too much liquid, so 7oz seems to be about right for the bottle I have.

I have never opened a Hutchinson bottle, so I don't know how close to the top of the bottle the liquid could be and still not cause spillage while the bottle is opened to drink from it.

So, I'm wondering whether anyone knows an answer. I looked in the Hutchbook, but could not find a definitive answer, or any answer at all, to my question.

Maybe the actual answer is: there is no answer because it depends on the bottler, so it's about 7oz +/- 3oz, or something. I have seen Hutchinson bottles referred to as "quart", but did they really contain a quart? I can accept the idea that, with Hutchinson bottles, don't even wonder about capacity beyond: 'quart' or not, but I figured I'd ask this question here anyway.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I have a total of 1 Hutchinson bottle. My collection is deco crown-caps, but I wanted an example Hutchinson bottle, so I bought one. It is 7 and 3/16 inches tall. Deco crown-caps collecting concerns the size of the bottles in fluid ounce capacity. For example, if you have the 6oz, then you're missing the 7oz and 9oz sizes, etc. Hutchinsons don't seem to ever have their capacity marked on them. It's probably before any law required it, or something. I'm curious anyway. I have a nice little plastic graduated cylinder that measures up to 10oz with 1/4 ounce markings. I poured 6oz into the Hutchinson bottle. It definitely looked a tad low. I poured in an additional ounce, which brought the level up to just below the bottle's shoulder. I then poured in an additional 1/2 ounce, and that brought it up to the top of the bottle's shoulder. That looked like a bit too much liquid, so 7oz seems to be about right for the bottle I have. I have never opened a Hutchinson bottle, so I don't know how close to the top of the bottle the liquid could be and still not cause spillage while the bottle is opened to drink from it. So, I'm wondering whether anyone knows an answer. I looked in the Hutchbook, but could not find a definitive answer, or any answer at all, to my question. Maybe the actual answer is: there is no answer because it depends on the bottler, so it's about 7oz +/- 3oz, or something. I have seen Hutchinson bottles referred to as "quart", but did they really contain a quart? I can accept the idea that, with Hutchinson bottles, don't even wonder about capacity beyond: 'quart' or not, but I figured I'd ask this question here anyway.

The Gould Amendment to the Food and Drug Act went into effect on September 3, 1914. That is when bottles needed their capacity labeled. There's all sorts of sizes of Hutch bottles. Not really any standard size because there were so many makers back then. 7 ounces sounds right for your bottle. If they were filled all the way to the top, they would have too much pressure if the soda was shaken up.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I have a total of 1 Hutchinson bottle. My collection is deco crown-caps, but I wanted an example Hutchinson bottle, so I bought one. It is 7 and 3/16 inches tall. Deco crown-caps collecting concerns the size of the bottles in fluid ounce capacity. For example, if you have the 6oz, then you're missing the 7oz and 9oz sizes, etc.

Hutchinsons don't seem to ever have their capacity marked on them. It's probably before any law required it, or something.

I'm curious anyway. I have a nice little plastic graduated cylinder that measures up to 10oz with 1/4 ounce markings. I poured 6oz into the Hutchinson bottle. It definitely looked a tad low. I poured in an additional ounce, which brought the level up to just below the bottle's shoulder. I then poured in an additional 1/2 ounce, and that brought it up to the top of the bottle's shoulder. That looked like a bit too much liquid, so 7oz seems to be about right for the bottle I have.

I have never opened a Hutchinson bottle, so I don't know how close to the top of the bottle the liquid could be and still not cause spillage while the bottle is opened to drink from it.

So, I'm wondering whether anyone knows an answer. I looked in the Hutchbook, but could not find a definitive answer, or any answer at all, to my question.

Maybe the actual answer is: there is no answer because it depends on the bottler, so it's about 7oz +/- 3oz, or something. I have seen Hutchinson bottles referred to as "quart", but did they really contain a quart? I can accept the idea that, with Hutchinson bottles, don't even wonder about capacity beyond: 'quart' or not, but I figured I'd ask this question here anyway.
Countries like Japan (Ramune) & India (Banta) still use Codd bottles. Here is an image of full ones. It seams to vary slightly but not by much. Hope this helps you.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• banta_ Amlan Mathur _ Alamy Stock Photo (1).jpg
    banta_ Amlan Mathur _ Alamy Stock Photo (1).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 96

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
There actually are quite a few Hutch bottles embossed with their contents. Seems to have ranged between 6oz and 10oz for the standard(ish) size bottles.
1640535529068.png
1640535348780.png
1640534791536.png
1640535416335.png
1640535475106.png

A few didn't seem to be entirely sure how much their bottles held either:
1640535774284.png
1640535801736.png

hemihampton

Reaction score
Looking at my 1903 Illinois Glass Co. BOTTLES of Every Description Catalog it shows almost all of the smaller Hutchinsons having a 8 oz. Capacity. While the Quarts seemed to range anywhere from 24-32 oz's. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky