I Dug Dozens of Metal Milk-Caps.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The local bottle expert I think was calling these the "hood" to the milk-bottles so that dirt wouldn't get onto the cap and thus, when opened, the milk, but here you go: I brought back on my dig the day before my 19th birthday about 38 of God only knows how many of the caps I dug out of a hill-side next to an old school-turned-Police-Station. Sanitary Dairy (this bottle is an earlier one) was one of our largest dairies here in Muskegon from the '20s to the '60s, which is when I believe it changed its name as it combined with Farr View Dairy. Talking to the expert, he believes these to be 1940s-1950s-- about 1-2 decades older than I'd have thought, but it makes sense as on previous digs (I'd noticed these before scattered in leaf-litter covering the hillside, but I'd ignored them in thinking them as true garbage) I'd dug 1940s-1950s vials and medicine bottles from there. That day I also dug part of a Sanitary Dairy bottle. Of all the adults I had talked to on what they used as a milk-container in schools, by the 1960s they'd all seemed to have switched to cartons-- thus helping me believe that these are pre-1960s. Only a matter of meters from the hill, I'd once dug my best local milk bottle-- and it is a 1920s Twin City Dairy bottle. Most of these look like they had a straw impaled through them, so perhaps these were as Dacro caps and not really "hoods" covering a cap?One stack had 5 unimpaled in it, but they were so heavily corroded that they were almost unsalvageable. Yet a stack of two had one still very good one-- with its original coating on it, even? I spent about an hour gently scrubbing them all up. Most say, SANITARY DAIRY CO. / PASTEURIZED / [shield design] / HOMOGENIZED / SOFT-CURD / VITAMIN MILK / [almost totally-unintelligible small, weakly-embossed text] / MUSKEGON, MICHIGAN.I have one for VITA-VIM (I think that it's a bit older) but cannot guarantee that it is Sanitary Dairy Co. I have one Chocolate Milk as well.In the creek I spotted a little tinge of orange in the glassy and rippling waters rushing over deep mud and bricks/stones tossed in decades ago (it turns up 1940s-1960s bottles and marbles.) It was a marble, so I reached my mini-shovel out to get it. Also on the creek-bank was a blue swirled marble. Then, returning from poking around the creek, I retrieved a brick I had left behind before to dry (It had been in the creek but is now rather light.) Also, on the hillside I found partially lodged in a tree a Laclede Wallac fire-brick. I got it out after working at it a bit.
Birthday%2B028.JPG
Birthday%2B029.JPG
Birthday%2B039.JPG
Birthday%2B031.JPG
See the other words beneath VITAMIN MILK but above my town and state?
Birthday%2B032.JPG
Vita-Vim had lots of embossing above and below it, but it's worn out and weakly done.^
Birthday%2B033.JPG
Most, as you can see, are missing the golden coating on their exteriors. The golden ones were thankfully a bit better-protected.
3HKoEfwFpEU5duNBA34zyVIqkhqe-EWmIASvsh_eypww=w1091-h719-no
Seems to be pre-1950s. ^ And if you're wondering why I would keep the dark brick that's almost impossible to read and is not pictured (click on "Left Behind" hyper-link,) then here ya' go: Great for staging.
jlztfmHmb6x26WRVuxLoG-Bc7muasGjZ3cdMI2Qf9Hpx=w959-h719-no
^ Vintage-antique firing cannon for my toy soldier collection, birthday gift from mom (birthday was yesterday.) Displayed on the old brick turned upside down as it looks like (at the correct angles) a muddy and war-torn battle-field full of craters from heavy shelling.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I've always liked local dairy stuff. I once found a Hood metal cap cover with my metal detector in Philadelphia, and I think you're right that those aren't Hood caps. Hood caps, when unfolded and flattened, have an emblem in the centre and a wide strip of blank metal around that. The edges of yours don't look wide enough. Plus there's no way you could poke a straw through a cardboard milk cap. I'm thinking these are something designed specifically for single-serving milk products.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
A Canadian metal-detecting in Philada? Thanks for the info. :) An edit: Looking closer at one cap without a hole poked through, it said "VITAMIN-D MILK" and not just "VITAMIN MILK." The "D" was centered where the straw was supposed to puncture. I researched Vitamin-D milk to see if it would help narrow down the range, but America began fortifying milk and labeling it as Vitamin-D milk back in the '30s.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I was visiting family and detecting their yard. It was packed with coins, I got several silvers out of there. I've tried looking up when plastic straws were invented because I figured that you couldn't poke a hole in anything with a paper straw, and it seems like they're a product of the sixties, so I guess those holes must have been poked with a pencil or something, not the straw itself. Those definitely predate the sixties. I'm assuming they're from the forties or fifties, but can't say with much certainty. Did you find anything else buried with them? That would help with the dating. I've got to wonder how many more of those are in that hill - the school must have gone through thousands per year.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. I've dug up only 2 silver pieces. What kinds of straws did they use back in the soda-fountains of the '40s and '50s? Paper ones? Seems a bit... flimsy and easy to see disintegrate. Bottles dating to the '40s and '50s have popped out, but only little vials and med-type bottles. There was one half-pint broken Sanitary Dairy bottle in there-- base and mouth missing, parts to the front and heel present. Lots of remains to food-jars.In that area, bottles from the 1920s to now pop out-- most dating between '40s and '60s.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah, they used paper straws. I don't know how they kept them from disintegrating, maybe it was wax-coated like a milk carton?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I was thinking that. It would also make it rigid enough yet wouldn't do much affect on flavor. As plastic has been in America for over a century, you'd think that they would have made a plastic straw sooner.

bottlerocket

Reaction score
Embossed Milk bottles (locals) are my favorite. I just can not leave any milks I find behind. I purchased an old metal milk carrier on ebay and display some of my finds in our kitchen. The make quite a conversation piece.Also the wife re-purposes them rather than having me "store" them in boxes in the garage LOL. 1/2 pints and pints preferred.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
If I dig it and it's well-embossed or local, it's coming home with me. I'm trying to get a local bottler's crate that is Pre-Prohibition, but things keep preventing me from obtaining it. As for boxing bottles, anything I have in boxes is gonna be sold at a garage-sale if possible. I might throw some bottles up on here. I have a few blobs, Hutches, crowns, etc. that I don't want. Are you looking for a location in particular?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Here's what I did with some of the caps:
l4PPmwEZfvLCjBktDG4OLTI4y3PgLyA0eIrFnW3T9u0m=w919-h719-no
And I'm still wondering if anyone knows about the Jack's Dairy bottle. It's around 1910 and made by Butler. That's all we know.And the Milk Products Co. has only one reference to it-- and that's in 1904. The Twin City Dairy bottle was the first milk I ever dug-- a scarce 1920s piece that I had found when moving away from the guy following me in the woods one late Winter day.
German-English%2B010.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown