I dug my first intact blob (with story on it all and in-situ pics!)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

2find4me

Reaction score
Make sure to bring a gun next time, haha. Might not be the best idea.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I've dug guns, but I don't own even those now (They'd have never worked anymore anyway, lol.)I had with me a shovel and my knife. (Warning: If you don't like blood, don't click that link. That was accidental but made an interesting pic.)

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Nah, John. Everything has an explanation even when we don't know what it is-- an explanation other than ghosts. But maybe I'l bring my Holy Water and a blessed Crucifix, hmm? LOLz. [8D]

sunrunner

Reaction score
hay, Spirit I don't mean to sound picky .but what you are referring to as blob is actually called a oil or ring or tapered collar.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Jim, the "Oil finish" I believe they called it in an Illinois Glass Co. catalog from close to TOC whereas my Bitters-bottle book I believe would call this type of mouth a 'tapered finish.' In general, the blob is any type of blob-- including this style. [8|]That's what I've read, at least, all over the web and in print. But thanks for clarification. [:)] Edit: Baltimore Loop Seal, Hutch-finish, oil-finish, ringed-collars, etc. are all blobs-- just different styles of blobs.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Great finds! From the looks and sounds of it, it seems that those walls were either poured in trenches dug through an ash and bottle dump layer (hence the bottle bits stuck in the concrete) and/or the foundation area was backfilled with ash and bottles shortly after being constructed. Either way it seems like you're digging around in a dump zone so I would not be the least bit surprised if more goodies are lurking in the general area. Head-mounted flashlights/miner's lights are pretty cheap and extremely useful in such conditions, so you might want to spend 5-10 bucks on one instead of holding a light in your teeth the whole time!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on why it might be like what it is like. Should I dig out as much of inside the wall as possible after poking around the floor? I almost took a pic that showed what looked like bricked-up arch-shaped windows facing into the next room-- it's why I think that they built around an existing building. Your ideas make much sense too, though. I almost got a miner's-type head-mounted light before but passed up on it as I didn't see a use for it at the time. Whoops. LOL. As long as I don't swallow the light, I'll be okay for now. Hah hah.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
This, if this is my insulator's company, tells me that my insulator should have been made between November of 1906 and July of 1907:"He also changed the operation to eliminate drying before firing in a kiln in order to reduce manpower and time of handling (surely this idea was a failure). The plant was restarted in November 1906 and wet process porcelain pin-type production was successfully started some time after that. In July 1907, Ohio Brass acquired exclusive control over all of the company's insulator production and had all their production marked with the OB logo." My insulator was made by Akron High-Potential Porcelain Co, and they were around from 1906 to 1910 in Barberton, Ohio.
Dug%2Bmy%2Bfirst%2Bintact%2Bblob%2521%2B036.JPG

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Found out. Top one is a tool for square bolts. Second one is a finial. I still want the stopper out without breaking anything. Help?That brings up another point: I'm finding so many broken blobs but no porcelain stoppers and have found only one rusted-out crown-cap. Why?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky