I finally found a spot :D

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Exactly_vague

Reaction score
Awesome finds!!

Just my humble opinion, leave the bone alone, it makes the piece unique.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. After further inspection it does appear to be Rockingham or Bennington. Still a nice find and not something you would see complete often. Stuff like that usually gets smashed or was broken before it was tossed. It would be a nice glue back if found in pieces!!! I doubt the chips or any crazing will effect the value much. Not worth a Fortune, but I bet it's still worth more than all the glass put together. Maybe you will get lucky and someone threw some more out in the same area? I say go back and get it... and don't forget your Shovel!!! :p

Blackglass

Reaction score
I got the pie plate

So, I went back today really quick to get all the stuff I left behind lastime. I didn't have any time to dig, so I pretty much got the stuff and ran off. Here is the plate all cleaned up...

This pic is pretty bad, it looks nicer in person. How old are these things? It is pretty heavy. It has 5 chips, but no cracks from what I can see. I like it!

72D2862A259F48F096FDA46B85039B25.jpg

Attachments

• 72D2862A259F48F096FDA46B85039B25.jpg
    72D2862A259F48F096FDA46B85039B25.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 66

surfaceone

Reaction score
DSCN9708.jpg

Hey Michael,

What a wonderful sight. Thanks for having your camera ready, if not the shovel. Are you using a folding garden trowel?

784862731_640.jpg

That plate is a nice one. When'ya goin back for some serious dirt tossing?

SuperStock_1672R-27685.jpg

lexdigger

Reaction score
It's hard to date the plate in that context. Rockingham is a vague term for the glaze that was used. It can date over a hundred year time span depending on where it made. I would say yours could be as early as 1840's and as late as the 1920's. It's common to dig in TOC privies, but could have been held onto longer than the other trash in the hole. I've seen it come out of pontil pits. All sorts of items from dishes to chamber pots and spittoons can be dug with this glaze. It's a nice piece you won't dig in that condition often.

KBbottles

Reaction score
Nic bennington plate! Maybe you will find some marbles to match it :). Look carefully for the small stuff too. Excellent site with great age and potential. I presume there are lots of great finds coming your way. I may evem predict there being some bitters bottles in there. Looks like many years of continued dumping went on here which makes you one lucky discoverer!

WAHIAWA DIGGER

Reaction score
Awesome Score... Looks like it will produce more great bottle for you. Must have lots more washed down stream.

Brains

Reaction score
good dig-good picks, i enjoyed looking at them. That plate is awesome, i find lots of pieces of stuff like that but never anything whole. I find that they throw it away 'cause it gets broken and they can't use it anymore, but they must have just gotten bored with the one you found.

They still make hoppes #9 today, it's a solvent for cleaning corrosive stuff out of your gun's bore- i use it to prevent my mosin nagants from rusting. (didn't work- they rusted anyways)

i look forward to more posts about this dump, thanks for sharing

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado