I got a rock

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BF109

Reaction score
My first thought was coprolite but I don't know.

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
Definitely granite. Definitely not an egg. I have owned segnosaur, titanosaur, hadrosaur, and raptor style eggs or partial eggs from South America, North America and China. They are totally different. Also owned or still own coprolites (dinosaur, turtle, crocodile, carnivore mammal). It is not a coprolite.

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
I'll go with granite. The specimen is characteristic of intrusive igneous rocks and one can identify on visual inspection the quartzite inclusions formed in concert with two distinct kinds of feldspar (plagioclase and potassium-rich potash feldspar). As for origin, I'd call your orbicular rock a "geofact." A geofact (a portmanteau of geology and artifact) is nothing more than a natural stone formation that is often most difficult to distinguish from a man-made artifact. Isn't earth science a hoot?

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I'll go with granite. The specimen is characteristic of intrusive igneous rocks and one can identify on visual inspection the quartzite inclusions formed in concert with two distinct kinds of feldspar (plagioclase and potassium-rich potash feldspar). As for origin, I'd call your orbicular rock a "geofact." A geofact (a portmanteau of geology and artifact) is nothing more than a natural stone formation that is often most difficult to distinguish from a man-made artifact. Isn't earth science a hoot?
That's a lot to take in.

Giddy Up!!!!

Johnny M

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion professor! :)

maryrobb1

Reaction score
One rock.....
Don't have to be a dick and brag...

Only joking!
I'm no geologist, so I can't help..
I have to deal with so many rocks, it isn't funny!

There are some incredibly smart folks on here..
Hopefully one will chime in?
I believe it geo special cutter to cut it open and there's crystals in it

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I have a similar granitic cobble in my rock garden. It was in a small pile of such rounded stones on the bottom of a Florida coastal river (it had barnacles). I think it was ballast dumped to accommodate a cargo. Florida doesn't have native granite.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky