I got me an adorable Midget jar!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
The Consolidated Fruit Jar Company was a sheet metal manufacturer that started making caps and bands for jars and wound up with their own line They had other glass works produce the jars, but they do make an interesting collection..

BF109

Reaction score
Sweet jar and in great shape! I'm partial to midgets too and have a modest collection of patent 1858 types.

klaatu

Reaction score
farmkiti, Welcome to jar collecting. Your Improved Midget appears to be in very good condition. And yes, the Red Book is a must have. Between the "Red Book" & "The Fruit Jar Works" (Vol.1 & 2) there is a wealth of information pertinent to jar collecting. As far as having any concerns relating to Midget jars, yes there are reproductions out there. Most notably the "Dream Color" series of ...Pat. Nov 30th 1858 Midget Jars that were produced in 1971 in Kentucky, I believe. These reproduction Midget jars have become highly collectible in their own right. There are also much more modern Midget reproductions, but these smooth-lip jars are fairly easy to identify as a repro. An easy way to dishtinguish, say, a "Dream Color"...Patent 1858 Midget jar from an authentic late 19th century ...Patent 1858 jar would be the mold seams. Legit 19th century Midgets have (2) vertical mold seams, while the "Dream Color" reproductions have (3) vertical mold seams. Enjoy your jar collecting. It's a wonderful hobby!

farmkiti

Reaction score
Sweet jar and in great shape! I'm partial to midgets too and have a modest collection of patent 1858 types.
Thanks for your comments. Yes, the midgets are just so cute, I can't resist them. Currently I'm looking for unusual midgets that look authentic, with the ground glass rims and so forth. I also like to look for pint jars with different maker's labels. It is definitely an addictive hobby!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Thanks, Coreya! I've been seeing those Red Books. Should I aim for the most recent publication? I would assume so. They aren't cheap, are they? But I guess if I'm gonna get into another form of collecting, it'd be a good investment. Plus I like reading the little back stories about how & when they were made. Thanks for looking mine up for me! Good to know.
With the book at least you will know what you are looking at and an idea of value. So as to avoid a costly noob mistake like over paying and not recognizing a reproduction.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

farmkiti

Reaction score
farmkiti, Welcome to jar collecting. Your Improved Midget appears to be in very good condition. And yes, the Red Book is a must have. Between the "Red Book" & "The Fruit Jar Works" (Vol.1 & 2) there is a wealth of information pertinent to jar collecting. As far as having any concerns relating to Midget jars, yes there are reproductions out there. Most notably the "Dream Color" series of ...Pat. Nov 30th 1858 Midget Jars that were produced in 1971 in Kentucky, I believe. These reproduction Midget jars have become highly collectible in their own right. There are also much more modern Midget reproductions, but these smooth-lip jars are fairly easy to identify as a repro. An easy way to dishtinguish, say, a "Dream Color"...Patent 1858 Midget jar from an authentic late 19th century ...Patent 1858 jar would be the mold seams. Legit 19th century Midgets have (2) vertical mold seams, while the "Dream Color" reproductions have (3) vertical mold seams. Enjoy your jar collecting. It's a wonderful hobby!
Klaatu, thanks for all the info! I love learning about these jars, especially the Midgets. You've given me some good clues to work with.

farmkiti

Reaction score
With the book at least you will know what you are looking at and an idea of value. So as to avoid a costly noob mistake like over paying and not recognizing a reproduction.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Yes; I definitely plan to get me a Red Book as soon as possible. I'm not obsessed with their value; however, I don't want to pay too much for the jars I buy. I've got a few already, with a few more coming. I'm going pretty slow and not buying too many till I have a better idea what I'm doing. Can't wait to get the book so I can find the jars I've bought so far.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Yes; I definitely plan to get me a Red Book as soon as possible. I'm not obsessed with their value; however, I don't want to pay too much for the jars I buy. I've got a few already, with a few more coming. I'm going pretty slow and not buying too many till I have a better idea what I'm doing. Can't wait to get the book so I can find the jars I've bought so far.
Remember color is king as far as most jar collectors are concerned. There are exceptions though.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. Yes, the midgets are just so cute, I can't resist them. Currently I'm looking for unusual midgets that look authentic, with the ground glass rims and so forth. I also like to look for pint jars with different maker's labels. It is definitely an addictive hobby!
Since the 1971 Dream Series jars were mentioned, here's a photo of 6 of the 7 different colors of them. There is a lighter amber colored one missing in this group. These jars will also have 971 on the base, although it can be difficult to see on some. Welcome, and enjoy your collection!

Attachments

• 1787 Mason's Patent dream color pints.JPG
    1787 Mason's Patent dream color pints.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 220

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi