I hate jars! But I do need an opinion of value.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David Fertig

Reaction score
For those of you who do not know - I hate jars. Period. Every time I think I have found a good one, it books at $1-3. But I do like my local bottles. And jars are close to bottles. And there are a couple jars from Carlisle, Pa. But take a look at the prices, and you will know more of why I hate jars. And some have that stupid gutta percha insert that breaks when you breathe on it. And try finding a Willoughby stopple in the right size. Urgh.... NOW - I may have access to a decent jar. Went to look at a house for demo and asked the owner if he had any bottles. There were crocks and jugs and various other smalls sitting around. Well he asks me if I collect jars. I tell him that I have a few. What does he have? So he asks me if I ever heard of a BELLE jar with feet on it. I have RB #10 so I see what that says. And I do not know if the lid and bail are there. Or the condition. He says he thought it was on top of a certain cupboard, but not sure where it is now. Maybe in a box somewhere. SO... What are your opinions on value both with lid and bail and without? Is the book value good in todays market? Hopefully we can locate it this week. Thanks in advance.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Both heckler and NAG come up in an search and the both fell short of the RB10 but neither gave the closing date (or I missed it)What's the Carlisle connection? Were the Houghtons originally from there?

botlguy

Reaction score
Well, my opinion, worth what you are paying for it, is that if it's complete it's worth $1,000. Without glass lid $700, without lid and metal $500. The glass lid is KEY, the metal can be reproduced with little harm to authenticity. Jim

dave3950

Reaction score
Hi Jim,re your Belle jar. Your value info from Jim sounds close, repro metal will definitely hurt the value. Also, the size is important.I recently got a "Wm Haller, Carlisle, PA" jar and almost didn't follow up because of the asking price. The seller said it was a quart but in fact it was a pint and the price was appropriate. Dave

David Fertig

Reaction score
Eric - I live outside Carlisle. And I collect local items. Here's a list of Carlisle jars that I know of: Fridley & Cornman'sMrs. Haller (the cheap one in the lot)Wm HallerHuyett & FridleyKeystone (I think someone told me this might be Carlisle) The chance of digging these is slim. The chance of these coming for sale is slim. And when they do, the price is usually stupid. Some day if I get ambitious, I might take some photos and post them here. Thanks for the info and help. I will watch that one on FeeBay.

David Fertig

Reaction score
New Dave - which Haller do you have? And would it be available? PM me if you are interested in selling. Thanks,
Dave

David Fertig

Reaction score
$821.30. With a decent size lid chip. So I guess Sinsley is right for the complete jar. That's about half RB #10. I have not seen this one yet - and who knows when and if I ever will, but will keep you all posted.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky