I have Access to an old bottling plant from 1870 to 1915 update

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
Hello all you wonderful bottle collectors and bottle experts. So I started my first dig since retiring, It is the first time in 40 years I dug bottles. I forgot how sharp glass can be ouch.

So a good three hours of the day consisted of clearing an area of Asian bitter sweet vines and a lot of other undergrowth including Poison Ivy. Good thing it don't affect me. Its hard to determine a good place to dig because there is soda glass every where/ I dig 4 spots all on the side of the hill, The first spot has lots of bottles sticking out of the ground but every one pull has a broken top. I worked on that area for about an hour and I find no bottles that are intact. But some one on here gave me a great Idea to make drinking glass out of them (Thanks Agent 67) So I keep the ones with broken tops. I go to the left about 30 feet and I see another area of lots of broken glass. About a foot down I start recovering whole bottles but they are more recent. I find vinegar bottles and some cosmetics stuff with plastic tops and then a plastic comb. Looking at these bottles I guess this place here dates to the 1950's or 60's.. I feel that disappointment feeling looming. I go another 30 feet or so, where I have to clear more vines. Here once again broken soda glass everywhere. But I notice what looks like a corner of a rock foundation. There also red bricks laying around. I dig near the foundation and at about a foot down I hit a layer of rust black soil and broken glass, There are old barrel bands every where Mixed with broken glass shards that are sticking out. I start pulling them out of the hole and I see my first bottom of a bottle sticking out I dig around it and it comes loose. Wow I'm rushing right now. Do you guys get that Rush when you find something awesome? I'm holding in my hands a perfect hutch Fred Schorr Cincinnati O with a lion embossed on the other side, Its in perfect shape. What a rush. Then right above it another whole bottle in perfect condition It says A. Wegener & Sons Detroit Mich. I dig pulling out lots of broken hutches then I find a bunch of 3C Nectar Drink of the Gods bottles. I pull out three in good condition. In all I found 9 good bottles Its getting kind of later on in the day. My hand is bleeding and I am beat. Ill be back in a few more days to focus more on the foundation.

Still trying to figure out why there are so many different labels. I have recorded 30 labels so far. There a lot more as well. The most common label is Loop Creek Bottling and Ice company. I found about 20 of them with two whole ones.

Here is an interesting fact about the 3C Nectar Drink of the Gods Cola I found out while researching my finds.
They were the first to Advertise that their cola did NOT contain Cocaine or any other addictive substance. That Company only lasted 11 months. Go figure

so the first pick of kind of what this bottle dump looks like and the others are some of the bottles I dug. Once again thanks for all your help and guidance.
DSC07232.JPG
DSC07234.JPG
DSC07236.JPG
DSC07243.JPG
DSC07245.JPG

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
5 different Fred Schorr on Hutchbook.com all rated as Scarce. Nice find, I like any Hutch. Link below.

congrats, great find, I'd keep digging for more. Yes, I get the same Rush when I pull out a nice Bottle whole. Exciting for sure. LEON.
Thank you Leon for the link. Wow Mine is like The first one but I have to say it says in the comments that the lion is fat and the lion on this hutch looks like its on a diet. Look kind of skinny to me Could it be the only one like it ????

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow looks like you've got a great site! I'd be digging as much of that area as possible. The wide array of bottles you've found makes sense - the bottler would only throw out their own bottles when they broke or became obsolete (if you can find the spot where they dumped the Hutches after they stopped using them that'll be the real motherlode!) but they'd throw out any of their competitors' bottles which were accidentally returned to them. It's also possible that they were using second-hand bottles that they had purchased from other companies, I think smaller bottlers would often do this back in the day since having their own bottles made was quite expensive.

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
Wow looks like you've got a great site! I'd be digging as much of that area as possible. The wide array of bottles you've found makes sense - the bottler would only throw out their own bottles when they broke or became obsolete (if you can find the spot where they dumped the Hutches after they stopped using them that'll be the real motherlode!) but they'd throw out any of their competitors' bottles which were accidentally returned to them. It's also possible that they were using second-hand bottles that they had purchased from other companies, I think smaller bottlers would often do this back in the day since having their own bottles made was quite expensive.
The most common ones was Loop Creek bottling and ice-cream company, I found 20 of them but i was checking some of them out that had broken tops tonight and I noticed that two of them have the exact same injury to them. Its a oval chunk about the size of a thumb print that has been removed form their left side. if you put the two together they look like twins. I have to assume that this was done by machinery, You would think they would recycle the glass even back in those days.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The most common ones was Loop Creek bottling and ice-cream company, I found 20 of them but i was checking some of them out that had broken tops tonight and I noticed that two of them have the exact same injury to them. Its a oval chunk about the size of a thumb print that has been removed form their left side. if you put the two together they look like twins. I have to assume that this was done by machinery, You would think they would recycle the glass even back in those days.
I suspect that's a coincidence and the fracture is the same because the glass has a weakness in that spot. Any sort of machinery from that era wouldn't even know which side of the bottle was which, it wasn't until the mid-20th century that they started designing bottles to be oriented a certain way.

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
Mr. e.../c3po(?),
Nice job. Feeling tired but young again with purpose. Shed red--You are hereby awarded the Medal of the Purple Trowel. Congrats and lets be careful out there y'all.
Thanks Len I will put that purple trowel on my mantle in a place of honor, I'll be back out there digging tomorrow with a new pair of thicker gloves and a new appreciation for broken glass

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora