I have Access to an old bottling plant from 1870 to 1915 update

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Iggyworf did you dig it yourself??? They are suppose to be scarce meaning there are less than a 100 of them out there
No not much. But I do dig for my work and ocasionally find some bottles. Usually nothing to speak of though. I did dig some at work recently and will show them soon. I got that hutch from an antique store somewhere in Michigan but forget where, and it was cheap I do remember that. Glad to here from Leon that it is rare. I usually don't collect hutch's from other states.

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
Hello all you wonderful bottle collectors and bottle experts. So I started my first dig since retiring, It is the first time in 40 years I dug bottles. I forgot how sharp glass can be ouch.

So a good three hours of the day consisted of clearing an area of Asian bitter sweet vines and a lot of other undergrowth including Poison Ivy. Good thing it don't affect me. Its hard to determine a good place to dig because there is soda glass every where/ I dig 4 spots all on the side of the hill, The first spot has lots of bottles sticking out of the ground but every one pull has a broken top. I worked on that area for about an hour and I find no bottles that are intact. But some one on here gave me a great Idea to make drinking glass out of them (Thanks Agent 67) So I keep the ones with broken tops. I go to the left about 30 feet and I see another area of lots of broken glass. About a foot down I start recovering whole bottles but they are more recent. I find vinegar bottles and some cosmetics stuff with plastic tops and then a plastic comb. Looking at these bottles I guess this place here dates to the 1950's or 60's.. I feel that disappointment feeling looming. I go another 30 feet or so, where I have to clear more vines. Here once again broken soda glass everywhere. But I notice what looks like a corner of a rock foundation. There also red bricks laying around. I dig near the foundation and at about a foot down I hit a layer of rust black soil and broken glass, There are old barrel bands every where Mixed with broken glass shards that are sticking out. I start pulling them out of the hole and I see my first bottom of a bottle sticking out I dig around it and it comes loose. Wow I'm rushing right now. Do you guys get that Rush when you find something awesome? I'm holding in my hands a perfect hutch Fred Schorr Cincinnati O with a lion embossed on the other side, Its in perfect shape. What a rush. Then right above it another whole bottle in perfect condition It says A. Wegener & Sons Detroit Mich. I dig pulling out lots of broken hutches then I find a bunch of 3C Nectar Drink of the Gods bottles. I pull out three in good condition. In all I found 9 good bottles Its getting kind of later on in the day. My hand is bleeding and I am beat. Ill be back in a few more days to focus more on the foundation.

Still trying to figure out why there are so many different labels. I have recorded 30 labels so far. There a lot more as well. The most common label is Loop Creek Bottling and Ice company. I found about 20 of them with two whole ones.

Here is an interesting fact about the 3C Nectar Drink of the Gods Cola I found out while researching my finds.
They were the first to Advertise that their cola did NOT contain Cocaine or any other addictive substance. That Company only lasted 11 months. Go figure

so the first pick of kind of what this bottle dump looks like and the others are some of the bottles I dug. Once again thanks for all your help and guidance.
View attachment 239808 View attachment 239809View attachment 239810View attachment 239811View attachment 239812

Hello all you bottle people. You guys and girls are all so great Thanks for your input. I guess I will continued to up date on this thread so I don't have to make a new on every time i find cool stuff from this spot.
Okay so yesterday was a very good day. I shed no red. Can you Say SCORE? I got about 5 hr of dig time in. I decided to work of f to the side of this old foundation. Where an old stump is. In that stump I found a square nail so its old. It must be an old chestnut tree stump I'm thinking. But I digress, So I have to clear some wild rose bushes and Asian bitter sweet vines away from the area , I open this hole between the stump and foundation There is once again broken bottles and glass just packed in here. About 2 feet down The first somewhat whole bottles drops out . Its KANAWHA CELERY COLA from Charleston W. Va. Its in pretty good shape a little chip off the crown and what looks like to me a hole caused by a bubble blowing out on its side. I dig down another foot and now it like clay. I start chopping at the hard packed dirt and I here crack. I take my little digging stick and clear away the dirt to expose a bottle glued in the clay and the corner now has a hole where my shovel hit it. Its a Blob top I dig out and it says HAYE'S BROS CHICAGO ILL. I felt like my dog died for a second there. At the base there is significant damage. Oh well live and learn. So now I'm carefully trying to get through this clay and chunks of glass. I finally clear a flat area and I see 3 hutch tops sticking out. It took a good hour to get them out but they are in perfect condition. They still have their hutch style stopper in them. It looks as if the bottle was made around the stopper,. The first one I pull out says NEWRIVER BOTTLING COMPANY SEWELL W. VA then the second one I get loose says AUXIER BOTTLING CO. PIKEVILLE. KY. The 3rd one pulled says PRINCESTON BOTTLING AND ICE PLANT PRINCESTON W.VA. I continue to dig Its slow going but I keep hitting bottle after bottle. I pull another one that says J.W.WAGONER & BROS KYSER W.VA. Then another that says CAPITAL S.W.CO COLUMBUS OHIO. I uncovered three hutches that are “Slick Ricks” although they have a round spot on them where their embossed label would have been. I think they call it a slug plate ??? On the bottom it says THE LIQUID. I found the three together. So don't know what s up there. Its getting dark and I can still see three more hutches in the hole so Ill be back in a few days to keep at it. In all 9 hutches and two crown tops in good condition. I found more whole hutches than I did crown tops. I wonder why that is??

After today's dig I'm thinking this place had something to do with bottle manufacturing. I dug up what I thought was going to be a bottle but instead its like a big chunk of aqua glass and I'm finding lots of coal and glass looking slag. Those slick ricks I found make me think that too I also notice that most of the bottles I have found here have the same round circle where they put the embossing. It is the same for the crown tops

Okay some of the days pics from the days dig. The first the Celery cola dropping in the hole then my broken blob top then some of the bottle in in the day's dig. then a close up of the New River bottle. Then a pic of what listed as rare by the Hutch project J. W. Wagoner Kyser WV Thanks again for any input, info
DSC07253.JPG
DSC07266.JPG
DSC07256.JPG
DSC07270.JPG
DSC07272.JPG
and advise.

Reaction score
5 different Fred Schorr on Hutchbook.com all rated as Scarce. Nice find, I like any Hutch. Link below.

congrats, great find, I'd keep digging for more. Yes, I get the same Rush when I pull out a nice Bottle whole. Exciting for sure. LEON.
There's quite a chronology there from Hutchinson to Crown finishes suggesting the the bottling plant was there from the middle 19th century to the early 20th. Quite a find.

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
Great Pic of the Hutchs, Congrats. Are the crown tops ABM? LEON.
Hi Leon So the seam line goes up the top but stops right at the edge of the part that the cap is attached too the seam don't go all the to the little ring on top. I'm thinking early machine made ?

hemihampton

Reaction score
Sound like ABM. Some hutchs made into the teens but most seemed to fade away by the teens. LEON.

LalaGirl

Reaction score
Iggyworf did you dig it yourself??? They are suppose to be scarce meaning there are less than a 100 of them out there
Just noticed that you said "scarce" means that there are less than 100 of them out there.
Does that definition work for any type of bottle? That was a hutch you were referring to, right? I also have a hutch that Hutchbook.com says is scarce... (A Puritas)

Still

Reaction score
Hello all you bottle people. You guys and girls are all so great Thanks for your input. I guess I will continued to up date on this thread so I don't have to make a new on every time i find cool stuff from this spot.
Okay so yesterday was a very good day. I shed no red. Can you Say SCORE? I got about 5 hr of dig time in. I decided to work of f to the side of this old foundation. Where an old stump is. In that stump I found a square nail so its old. It must be an old chestnut tree stump I'm thinking. But I digress, So I have to clear some wild rose bushes and Asian bitter sweet vines away from the area , I open this hole between the stump and foundation There is once again broken bottles and glass just packed in here. About 2 feet down The first somewhat whole bottles drops out . Its KANAWHA CELERY COLA from Charleston W. Va. Its in pretty good shape a little chip off the crown and what looks like to me a hole caused by a bubble blowing out on its side. I dig down another foot and now it like clay. I start chopping at the hard packed dirt and I here crack. I take my little digging stick and clear away the dirt to expose a bottle glued in the clay and the corner now has a hole where my shovel hit it. Its a Blob top I dig out and it says HAYE'S BROS CHICAGO ILL. I felt like my dog died for a second there. At the base there is significant damage. Oh well live and learn. So now I'm carefully trying to get through this clay and chunks of glass. I finally clear a flat area and I see 3 hutch tops sticking out. It took a good hour to get them out but they are in perfect condition. They still have their hutch style stopper in them. It looks as if the bottle was made around the stopper,. The first one I pull out says NEWRIVER BOTTLING COMPANY SEWELL W. VA then the second one I get loose says AUXIER BOTTLING CO. PIKEVILLE. KY. The 3rd one pulled says PRINCESTON BOTTLING AND ICE PLANT PRINCESTON W.VA. I continue to dig Its slow going but I keep hitting bottle after bottle. I pull another one that says J.W.WAGONER & BROS KYSER W.VA. Then another that says CAPITAL S.W.CO COLUMBUS OHIO. I uncovered three hutches that are “Slick Ricks” although they have a round spot on them where their embossed label would have been. I think they call it a slug plate ??? On the bottom it says THE LIQUID. I found the three together. So don't know what s up there. Its getting dark and I can still see three more hutches in the hole so Ill be back in a few days to keep at it. In all 9 hutches and two crown tops in good condition. I found more whole hutches than I did crown tops. I wonder why that is??

After today's dig I'm thinking this place had something to do with bottle manufacturing. I dug up what I thought was going to be a bottle but instead its like a big chunk of aqua glass and I'm finding lots of coal and glass looking slag. Those slick ricks I found make me think that too I also notice that most of the bottles I have found here have the same round circle where they put the embossing. It is the same for the crown tops

Okay some of the days pics from the days dig. The first the Celery cola dropping in the hole then my broken blob top then some of the bottle in in the day's dig. then a close up of the New River bottle. Then a pic of what listed as rare by the Hutch project J. W. Wagoner Kyser WV Thanks again for any input, infoView attachment 239902View attachment 239903View attachment 239904View attachment 239905View attachment 239906 and advise.
SHEEESSHH man those are some great finds. Your hitting the good stuff

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi