I have doubts, what say ye?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
I collect paper items and it looks right. But it was larger thus cut down and by the damage it was stuck to the original glass and when removed well you see the result. He knows what happened but by taking his stand he can kinda hide it. It's rare but very overpriced for a cut down damaged piece.

T D

Reaction score
I totally agree it is old and has been cut. My initial reaction was the image was wrong as in it may have been from some other ad that the Chero was cleverly added. I guess that's where my mind tends to go when the starting bid is half a G

Eric

Reaction score
Looks very brittle... the wrinkles throughout look more like cracking... was in a very dry, hot place when stored.Never seen this piece... I lean more it's an original but it looks to be cropped to fit this frame maybe an old calendar top advertisement? Looks too thin to be cardboard... there probably isn't much more than 1/8th not showing due to frame and I would think the wording went out further. Kind of risqué but Cola too? So I guess this type of advertisement worked in some cases... Hold old is Chero-Cola? This has got to be close to 1910-1920s?... very early...

celerycola

Reaction score
With the script logo it would be early and likely a stock print with the Chero-Cola logo stenciled perhaps by the local bottler. I believe I have seen this same lithograph with either Chero-Cola or another product advertised. I think it is legit but do not value it anywhere near $500 in this condition. I don't value stock advertising as highly as that specifically made for the brand. I passed up a nice 1922 Celery-Cola calendar because it was a stock piece priced too high.

T D

Reaction score
Thanks Dennis, that makes sense. I really didn't know to what extent Chero Cola was involved in stock advertising. Thanks for your expertise

Eric

Reaction score
Grapette cardboards look the same as far as using stock images.... I would send them a message with a price you are comfortable with paying... Looking at what they have sold in the past they just threw a big number on it and hoping to get a bite. Hard passing on something you have a passion for... But with the condition I would contact them and explain with the condition it is in this is what I would be willing to pay... wouldn't hurt.. they'll keep you in mind when it doesn't sell. Good Luck!

T D

Reaction score
No, no. No interest here, I would buy it for about thirty bucks because of most of the previously mentioned reasons by everyone. I'm not saying it is not worth more, just not to me. Just trying to stir a little thought amongst us straight sided soda guys. Thanks all...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky