I need to know something I have a Florida bottles very old in South Florida store bottle has $0.05 on it looks like a five-year-old made this thing To

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I remember as a child searching for deposit bottles to take to the grocery store. I would use the pennies or nickels to buy a candy bar or other minor treat.

While Nickneff has no lack of confidence in his ideas, he is short of accurate information. Google it, Nick.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I did that too and bagged sand in the Mason yard if they needed that, I did not like bagging the gravel it was not as fast and harder to do. Saved my money to go bowling every weekend.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Nickneff

Reaction score
I still remember returning cases of old refillable bottles for our deposit. The cost of the drink was one price, the deposit another. ranging from 1-6 cents never saw a 4 cent deposit milk bottle.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I remember deposits to back when I was a kid wasn't like that around here you could bring that bottle back and get a nickel or dime for it that's the way it worked around my part Louisville Kentucky shoot they quit doing that 40 years ago around Louisville

Nickneff

Reaction score
Usually store bottles milk bottles are usually none machine I'm talkin early 1890s to 1900. I have not seen any store bottles after that. Not around here in Louisville Kentucky after 1900 the automatic bottle machine came into play around 19 10 all the milk bottles was made by machine and there wasn't no store bottles made around here after that time. In Kentucky as far as I know but at every store bottle I've ever seen was Nan machine made

Nickneff

Reaction score
Usually store bottles milk bottles are usually none machine I'm talkin early 1890s to 1900. I have not seen any store bottles after that. Not around here in Louisville Kentucky after 1900 the automatic bottle machine came into play around 19 10 all the milk bottles was made by machine and there wasn't no store bottles made around here after that time. In Kentucky as far as I know but at every store bottle I've ever seen was Nan machine made
This is a misunderstanding of how bottle deposits work. The empty milk bottle is returned to the store and the nickel deposit is refunded. The empty bottles are sent from the store to the processing plant to be washed and re-filled. A fresh bottle of milk may be purchased from the store, but another nickel deposit must be put up. The deposit was to encourage that the bottle was recycled. The "No Deposit, No Return" bottles of the early 1950s were a quiet revolution.
[/

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown