I think it's bleach?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nemisis83

Reaction score
Found this cool jug in a customers crawlspace in Richmond VA. It was lying beside 2 very old wooden barrels near a few other olive green bottles. This is the first bottle I have found with the original label. The label is very dirty and brittle. I would love to clean it up but not sure what to use here. I also can't find anything about the company and the building no longer exists either. Does anyone here have any input?
IMG_20211024_213117.jpg

IMG_20211024_213124.jpg

IMG_20211024_213137.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It's strange that they don't refer to it as bleach anywhere on the label, since that's what it is. I guess they were trying to pretend it was some new proprietary product, and hoped that people wouldn't know what sodium hypochlorite is?
As for cleaning, you can wipe the dirt off the glass with a damp cloth, just be careful not to get any water on the label. Cleaning the label is more difficult, you can try dabbing (not wiping) at the label very gently with a slightly damp cloth, but most of that dirt will probably be there to stay unfortunately.

Nickneff

Reaction score
Found this cool jug in a customers crawlspace in Richmond VA. It was lying beside 2 very old wooden barrels near a few other olive green bottles. This is the first bottle I have found with the original label. The label is very dirty and brittle. I would love to clean it up but not sure what to use here. I also can't find anything about the company and the building no longer exists either. Does anyone here have any input?
View attachment 231272
View attachment 231273
View attachment 231274
If you try to clean that bleach bottle kiss that label goodbye might not want to fool with it at all leave it alone or risk losing your label

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
Any thoughts on maybe preserving the label?
Elmers rubber cement can be used to adhere the label back on, and if you really would really like to, add clear spray over the label. Shellac or mod podge are some good clear spray products. Make sure you clean behind parts of the label that are raised before adhering. Use a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado