I think this one is pretty rare..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sensor

Reaction score
Hi folks -- I found this bottle in my friend's office and asked about it. She doesn't really remember where she got it, just thought it was an unusual color. Upon further inspection, I knew it was antique and had to be in the early 1900s or so.. It says Indian Rock Ginger Ale Reidsville Coca-Cola Bot.Co. Reidsville, E.N.C. I'm assuming the E stands for Eastern North Carolina? On the bottom, it says AGW 3 1. contents 6 1/2 oz. I've looked up some history on it but don't see much. In fact, I'm wondering if this bottle is the only one ever found from Reidsville. Despite being old, it's in pretty good shape. Any further info you might know? Many thanks!!

Attachments

• 1202211534a.jpg
    1202211534a.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 165

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
Your bottle was most likely blown by The American Glass Works who had plants at Richmond, Va, and Paden City, W. Va. between 1908 and 1935.

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
Sorry, I posted that too soon. If it was not made there, it would have The American Glass Works at Pittsburg, Pa. They went out of business in 1905. Is your bottle machine made or hand finished?
That should tell you which plant made it.

sensor

Reaction score
Sorry, I posted that too soon. If it was not made there, it would have The American Glass Works at Pittsburg, Pa. They went out of business in 1905. Is your bottle machine made or hand finished?
That should tell you which plant made it.
Thank you for replying! Here's a pic of the bottom of the bottle. Also, it says Reidsville, NC Sorry for the confusion but the E at the end of Reidsville is displaced a bit next to the N.C. There are very slight seams on both sides so I'm thinking machine made?

Attachments

• bottle bottom pic.jpg
    bottle bottom pic.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 132
  • bottle writing on side.jpg
    bottle writing on side.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 120

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a nice one, looks like it's an early machine-made bottle and should date to around 1910 or so. You can tell it's machine-made if the seam goes all the way to the top of the lip which as far as I can tell from the photo it does. E was probably the first letter of the owner's surname, they marked the bases to easily pick out competitors' bottles without having to read all the embossing. As for how rare it is you'll need to find someone who collects North Carolina bottles. A lot of that information isn't available online so not turning up any info in a Google search doesn't mean too much.
Yours definitely isn't the only example, here's another which has been decapitated: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/coca-cola-indian-rock-ginger-ale-440509244
And an intact one which is described as rare: http://www.antiquebottles.com/southeast/greensboro/ScottReid2.jpg

Looks like even though yours isn't unique it's probably a pretty desirable one.

Here's another Indian Rock Ginger Ale from a different bottler in Virginia, I guess it was some sort of franchise https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/coca-cola-ten-pin-indian-rock-ginger-483088530
And evidently the franchise wasn't related to Coca Cola because here's one from a Pepsi bottler as well http://www.antiquebottles.com/raleigh/pic2/MarReggie.jpg

This is probably more or less unrelated to your bottle, but I thought it was interesting enough to include - this is the only bottle I've ever seen where they used the Coke hobbleskirt design for another product. If it was a Coke franchisee doing that I bet the head office nixed it pretty quickly: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/indian-rock-ginger-ale-soda-bottle-b-1719941514

hemihampton

Reaction score
I don't think the Inian Rock Ginger Ales are rare but they do seem desireable. BUT, Since the Straight Sided Coke & the 1915 Coke appear to be rare from Reidesville, Possibly this particular one from this City is also? LEON.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I agree with Hemi, it depends on the rarity of Reidsville Indian rock ginger ale. The aqua straight sided Coke from Reidsville is rare. There was no amber straight side. Hobbleskirt 1915 is rare and the 1923 Christmas is scarce. There is a chance that it is not common.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

smarley

Reaction score
Could of been bottled in this building. Map from 1885. lol. i live in Reidsville and would like to purchase it if you decide to sell it.
reidsvill bot.png

Jstorm

Reaction score
Look at the reviews for worthpoint if you are considering using them. Just throwing it out there!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp