I was trying to I.d. This…

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
I really don’t collect this because I’m busy with my bottles but this was in a lot that I won at a estate sale. Prism like effect through the ribbing. I saw writing and took some pix, looking for a mark, to I.d. It from. I got out a uv flashlight and took some pix- this is un-touched, no filter only cropped. What makes the glass fluorescent like that. These are vintage peg candle sconce replacements?
7b8e6506cb16e44a4fa495840c4b4256.jpg

1e46ff8ac502f34f69da36e4a50a672a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

willong

Reaction score
What makes the glass fluorescent like that.
Hi Kat,

UV light is a short wavelength, high energy type of radiation. As it is absorbed by some materials it excites molecules of those materials to a higher energy state, in turn causing them to emit their own photons at a different energy level and wavelength.

The linked Wikipedia article provides more details if you are interested.

I know nothing about the glass items themselves. If they don't have a base like a vase <<<poetry, eh, then candle sconce seems likely to me.

Will

PS: Did you ever see the Jesse Moore-Hunt whiskey photo I sent via private message?

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
Glass clarified with manganese will have a purple tint that is only visible when looking through the base from the edge. Compare that to other clear glass which will usually show aqua coloration. Most manganese glass is pre WW, so that is one possibility. Looking at the rim of the right hand fixture does not show purple , so that may not be the case here. It may be just the UV light.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu