ID dug 1860s Cathedral Pickle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bob Lee

Reaction score
Need help identifying exact manufacturer, year, and value of this iron pontil cathedral pickle bottle that measures 11.5” tall.

Mayhem

Reaction score
Hello Bob, welcome to the community. You will get your answer here, but we will need a little more info than you have provided. And as always, pictures tell 1,000 words.

Bob Lee

Reaction score
Please find attached a photo of an 11.5” cathedral pickle. I’ve been told it’s 1863, made Pittsburg, Penn. However, I cannot find one with this specific design. See photo. It also appears to be an iron pontil. Thx! Would like value as well.

Attachments

• 1B3C2A35-91F2-4C15-8A9F-2C1FF3673A65.jpeg
    1B3C2A35-91F2-4C15-8A9F-2C1FF3673A65.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 2AB71C80-E042-450D-941F-45073D9E5657.jpeg
    2AB71C80-E042-450D-941F-45073D9E5657.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 2655D094-2D1B-467F-9860-3132DC21A3DF.jpeg
    2655D094-2D1B-467F-9860-3132DC21A3DF.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 133

sandchip

Reaction score
If it's in as good shape as it looks, you may be looking at 1K or even better. That is a rarely seen mold in pickles, with good color to boot. As I said though, condition is the critical thing here, so you really need to look it over closely. If it's perfect, it would do well in any of the big 3 auction houses, GWA, AGG or NCH. Killer pickle.

Bob Lee

Reaction score
Thank you. Can you tell me the maker of this bottle? And can you tell me if I’m right in saying that the bottle was made around 1860s? Appreciate you!

Johnny M

Reaction score
Thank you. Can you tell me the maker of this bottle? And can you tell me if I’m right in saying that the bottle was made around 1860s? Appreciate you!
I believe that is a Western glasshouse mold. At least thats where this pattern seems to be seen mostly. It's called a Keyhole pattern. They made cylindrical peppersauce or catsup types too. I have seen this one in Olive green from the Gardener collection. I was just a kid when his bottles were sold or I would have bought that one. I'm guessing a bit here but I'm thinking 1850s to 1860 is a good time frame. All I have ever seen were iron pontil. I collect cathedral pickles so keep me in mind. I'm not shy in what I will pay for quality. I had a sick one of these years ago with a crack so I was afraid to get it cleaned. Great bottle ! Nice to see a scarce mold. Looks to be in superb condition. Can't believe it was dug? Must have been tossed out with pillows in soft earth with no ash. I'm losing sleep already. Lol !Super Pickle. Johnny M.

Bob Lee

Reaction score
Thank you so much! This was actually a surface find on a river bank that had been eroded by 2 big storms. A small corner of the bottle was exposed beneath a 2x6. It lay in pure white sand. This was previously the homesite of a Civil War veteran who was a scout and private and rode w/Confederate Captain J.J. Dickison. Best known for having captured and destroyed the USS Columbine (from shore), a Union gunboat.

Mayhem

Reaction score
Below are only Keyhole Pickle Jars that made it to a major auction. Pretty rare. And these are both 8 1/2" versions but it gives you an idea of the range depending on the color and grade. If indeed the 11.5” version is even more rare north of $1,000 definitely and over $2,000 is possible with the right bidders. Does anyone have a Zumwalt reference book? What does it say?

PriceDescription
$275July 2019 · American Bottle Auction · Auction July 2019 lot 256
KEYHOLE PICKLE JAR. Applied top and open pontil 8 ¼” with applied mouth and iron pontil. Here’s a very early jar that has an unusual shape with the keyhole type pattern seen on some pepper sauce bottles. This is a fairly ornate jar for its period and one we have not seen before. There is an open bubble stretching from the top into the neck and this could use a light cleaning. It is, however, a beautiful example of early jar making and a welcome addition to any early glass collection. This was found in San Francisco, years ago. Grades an 8
More...
$3,000September 2011 · American Bottle Auction · Auction September 2011 lot 131
J MCCOLLICK & CO NEW YORK with KEYHOLE DESIGN and applied mouth and iron pontil, 8 ½”. Zumwalt-289, this one is also pictured on her cover. Circa 1850. Jane McCollick began as early as 1849, putting up her own pickles. That was quite unusual for the day, as women simply did not exist, as Zumwalt points out. These pickles are found even in San Francisco, which shows the popularity of her products. This example is truly outstanding, as not only the color, an amazing medium blue, the condition is super with just the slightest traces of wear on only the highest points. Definitely one of the nicest pickles we’ve ever handled. Grades a 9.5.
More...

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I don't think anyone directly answered one question for you. That is definitely an iron pontil. Dates it 1860s or earlier pretty solidly. I think most of us put the pontiled pickles in the 1850s-1860s. Not my area of collecting so I can't help you more. It appears to be a fairly rare mold and it certainly appears to be in excellent condition for a dug bottle. Amazing to see something that big come out intact.

Congrats.

Jim G

Bob Lee

Reaction score
Below are only Keyhole Pickle Jars that made it to a major auction. Pretty rare. And these are both 8 1/2" versions but it gives you an idea of the range depending on the color and grade. If indeed the 11.5” version is even more rare north of $1,000 definitely and over $2,000 is possible with the right bidders. Does anyone have a Zumwalt reference book? What does it say?

PriceDescription
$275July 2019 · American Bottle Auction · Auction July 2019 lot 256
KEYHOLE PICKLE JAR. Applied top and open pontil 8 ¼” with applied mouth and iron pontil. Here’s a very early jar that has an unusual shape with the keyhole type pattern seen on some pepper sauce bottles. This is a fairly ornate jar for its period and one we have not seen before. There is an open bubble stretching from the top into the neck and this could use a light cleaning. It is, however, a beautiful example of early jar making and a welcome addition to any early glass collection. This was found in San Francisco, years ago. Grades an 8
More...
$3,000September 2011 · American Bottle Auction · Auction September 2011 lot 131
J MCCOLLICK & CO NEW YORK with KEYHOLE DESIGN and applied mouth and iron pontil, 8 ½”. Zumwalt-289, this one is also pictured on her cover. Circa 1850. Jane McCollick began as early as 1849, putting up her own pickles. That was quite unusual for the day, as women simply did not exist, as Zumwalt points out. These pickles are found even in San Francisco, which shows the popularity of her products. This example is truly outstanding, as not only the color, an amazing medium blue, the condition is super with just the slightest traces of wear on only the highest points. Definitely one of the nicest pickles we’ve ever handled. Grades a 9.5.
More...
Thank you for taking the time to reply. All great information!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp