ID on a clay/ceramic marble

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moodorf

Reaction score
I already posted pics of this marble in a digging forum topic, but I wanted to ask about it in Marbles because I'm very curious about it. UnderMiner suggested that it's a 19th century marble--and I agree--but every time I try to google "antique clay marble" for comparable images or similar marbles it pulls up images of smaller, unglazed marbles. I also find ones that look kind of like this one called "Bennington" marbles but I don't know enough about marbles to confirm this is one of them.

It's about 25-27mm wide

20230503_215436.jpg

20230503_215424.jpg

next to a more 'regular sized' glass marble:
1683165826462.png

Thoughts? Thanks :)

hemihampton

Reaction score
First thing I thought of, Bennington. I think Bennington colors can vary a little between darker, lighter, more swirled colors or less swirled & combination of different lighter & darker browns combined ect., ect., LEON.

moodorf

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the input guys :D

embe

Reaction score
Yup, Bennington from Germany. Looks over an inch which is harder to find compared to "standard" 5/8 size.

john cheney

Reaction score
I already posted pics of this marble in a digging forum topic, but I wanted to ask about it in Marbles because I'm very curious about it. UnderMiner suggested that it's a 19th century marble--and I agree--but every time I try to google "antique clay marble" for comparable images or similar marbles it pulls up images of smaller, unglazed marbles. I also find ones that look kind of like this one called "Bennington" marbles but I don't know enough about marbles to confirm this is one of them.

It's about 25-27mm wide

View attachment 246271
View attachment 246272
next to a more 'regular sized' glass marble:
View attachment 246273
Thoughts? Thanks :)
It is mid to late 19th century. Bennington Vt pottery made earthenware ceramics with somewhat similar glaze which is why bottle diggers call all of these brown, red, blue or green marble “Bennington “ but it really is a type name and not an attribution to a factory. They were made all over the USA, probably the biggest source was east Liverpool, Ohio. They were also made in England. Many call them Rockingham marbles because the glazes are similar. The unglazed ones can date back to the early 18th. Century and are indistinguishable from 19 th and early 20th century ones.

Mazikeen

Reaction score
1708042972730.png
Could someone please tell me what these are, I think thet maybe clay?

embe

Reaction score
Appear to be mill balls of some type based on shape/wear pattern

embe

Reaction score
Media mills - typically a large cylinder filled with these balls and a product you're trying to size reduce...say like a lumpy pigment or other powder. The cylinder rotates and the balls break up the lumps through contact and attrition. Over time the balls wear out (become out of round) and get replaced. Used a lot in pharmaceutical or industrial applications. Hope that helps.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky