Identification & Value? Dr. Jayne's (clear green tall bottle) Expectorant / Tonic Vermifuge

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

connieran

Reaction score
I am new here, so I hope this is in the right place. I acquired this bottle from a garage sale. It says Jayne's Expectorant. Janye's Tonic Vermifuge. Etched on the glass it says Jaynes on one side and Tonic on the other . On the back, it is etched to say - Good for mother and child. It has a label on front. It is clear green. The bottom is curved in and you can see a letter "C" in a circle. I need to know when this is from (approx year or time frame) and what the approx worth may be?? any help is much appreciated. I have NOT seen many like this one - so wondering if it is RARE? and worth more?

Attachments

• bottle1.jpg
    bottle1.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 119
  • bottle2.jpg
    bottle2.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 122
  • bottle3.jpg
    bottle3.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 163
  • bottle4.jpg
    bottle4.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 144
  • bottle5.jpg
    bottle5.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 129

nhpharm

Reaction score
Modern (1970's?) reproduction (actually a fantasy bottle). Maybe from Crownford China? I have some similar reproduction of the Hall's Hair Renewer bottles, complete with labels.

connieran

Reaction score
Modern (1970's?) reproduction. Maybe from Crownford China?
How can i know it is a "reproduction"? vs. real antique? It does NOT say "Crownford China" on bottom. I saw one on another google search that did, but this one does NOT. Does that mean it is not reproduction?

nhpharm

Reaction score
You can trust our years of experience :). I am sorry to say, but it is 100% a fantasy bottle. I'll take some photos later of my Halls.

connieran

Reaction score
You can trust our years of experience :). I am sorry to say, but it is 100% a fantasy bottle. I'll take some photos later of my Halls.
Oh believe me, I DO trust y'all. I know NOTHING about it, and that's why I came here. I believe you 100% and wasn't doubting you, but just asking. So not worth anything?? I wanted to sell on ebay. I saw another just like it sell for $24-ish. I guess I'll list it and see. I was hoping it was something rare and worth more. lol. THANKS

nhpharm

Reaction score
I paid maybe $15 or so plus shipping for my Halls. They are well done and I think some people do collect them. The Warner's ones with labels pull some pretty good money. I think you can get something for it and $24 probably is about right.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Huh, ok, I've been a little busy so, I've not had time to really look this over, I didn't know there were fantasy bottles for Dr Jayne. Where did the mold come from? And the label is kind of right looking. Originally I was thinking it was for export to like Australia or Europe. Well, anyways nhpharm made me relook at it overall and the embossing looks period incorrect. And label doesn't have all of the important stuff that is usually on a label from that era. nhpharm, I'd like to see your Halls.
~Fred

nhpharm

Reaction score
Here are my two Halls. Mine have Crownford China and the C in a circle on the base, but I think the C in a circle with no Crownford China around it was still Crownford. I collect New Hampshire stuff and since the real Hall's are from New Hampshire, I added these to my collection as well. As far as I know these were made in Italy; all of the Crownford stuff seems to have been made in new molds but some of the reproductions from the same period like the Glovers, the Scotts Cod Liver, and the My Wife's Salad Dressing bottles almost look like they may have been made in the original molds. Most of the Crownford bottles had labels of some sort or another.

Attachments

• Halls1.jpg
    Halls1.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Halls2.jpg
    Halls2.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Halls3.jpg
    Halls3.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Halls4.jpg
    Halls4.jpg