Illinois Privy Dig - My first dig in my own yard

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DigIllinois

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I had some local privy diggers stop by a house that my father was demoing (he bought a house next door for the lot). Local privy diggers stopped by and asked to dig. They dug up a couple hand fulls of bottles and an old spoon and spitoon. I was intrigued and asked them to stop by and check my yard for any privy clues. They found a privy that ended up having a clay cap at around 9'. They dug only about 30% of the privy before they had to leave. They asked if they should fill it in or leave open for me to dig. I asked them to leave it open for me and hopped in as soon as I arrived home from vacation. The privy ended up being about 4' deeper than the 9' clay cap and I was told that this pit had a ton of glass. Among all of the bottles I found a variety of items (spoons, knives, door knobs, clay pitchers, doll head, marbles, skeleton key, etc...). I dont know much about the bottles but have been told some of the broken beers are prized bottles by the original diggers. I've attached some phone pics. Thanks for all of the hobbyists here for all of the great info already provided here. I dont know much about what I have but I can say that every find was a complete treasure. I had someone offer me $100 for the broken St Louis Beer bottle but I'm having a hard time parting with it and the dang thing doesn't even have a bottom, lol. Most of my finds that weren't severely damaged. Missing tops for a lot have been found. I hope to find a good way to glue them on. Some of the broken mess that I collected to see if it fit together. My brother watching from the top of the pit In the pit After a small cave in, I put the hard hat on Mad that these were broken... Surprised how clean this Illinois Glass Company bottle was with just water and dawn and hand washing. Ball jar 1858 Mason with hairline crack, holds water fine Inkwell? Buster Brown Plate in 3 pieces - Father stole this Louis Lowentrout.. found a few versions of this Doll Head Northrup Dry Goods Carpets - Found multiple bottoms for this bottle. I read about the store in Bloomington, IL but have no idea what they used these bottles for. Apparently the family was very good friends with Abraham Lincoln. This bottle appears to be in mint condition, probably my most prized find. St Louis Beer Bottle 12" Indianapolis Brewing Co Jug - My father promptly stole: Sifter that I made before refilling the hole

botlguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums and that's a nice job of presentation for the first time. You did very well on that dig, good luck if you get a chance at another dig. Very good idea about the sifter, some of the best items in a privy are quite small. Jim

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Nice start on a collection. Pretty good age range on the dig as well. Scott

Plumbata

Reaction score
Hey, awesome finds and story, it's great to have newcomers to the hobby! I'm a digger/collector in Peoria, and member of the bottle club which meets monthly in Pekin. I can provide details if you like. I was wondering if one of the diggers who stopped by happened to be an English fellow? Regarding that St. Louis beer bottle, is it a quart-sized version? If so then it would have been a killer find if intact.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your 1st dig with us. Looks like you caught on quickly. Don't know how old your property is but there could be another privy. Good luck and congratulations

DigIllinois

Reaction score
@mbata yes it was Anthony and he is an English fella. Great guy! He taught me a few things and sent me on my way. Even left me his tools. And yes it is a quart size St Louis beer. I have the top that fits perfect. I'm still researching the best way to assemble it back on. I met a fella at the spoon river drive that told me about the Pekin bottle club on 3rd wednesdays at the senior hall in pekin. I need to make it out but it's a bit of a drive for me.

@bass assassin
There is a second privy in front of this one that I will start digging on friday. There is also a cistern that I'm looking to hop in lol. I have the bug for sure.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
That LOWENTROUT is a crier. Still fun to find though. Have one in a pint size. Here is a picture of an intact quart.[attachment=lowentrout01.jpg]

Attachments

• 9ba06ed17caa400684546309eacb6607.jpg
    9ba06ed17caa400684546309eacb6607.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 122

DigIllinois

Reaction score
UncleBruce said:
That LOWENTROUT is a crier.  Still fun to find though.  Have one in a pint size. Here is a picture of an intact quart.
[attachment=lowentrout01.jpg]

BRUCE, your site was the only place that I could find an example! Nice to meet ya. Do you happen to know what the bottom looks like? I tried my best to find it in the privy but couldn't find an exact match.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Northrup Dry Goods Carpets - Found multiple bottoms for this bottle. I read about the store in Bloomington, IL but have no idea what they used these bottles for. Apparently the family was very good friends with Abraham Lincoln.
Are the bottle bottoms or carpet savers? They should be sets of four.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18