I'm probably going to start political parties on the antique bottles page due to this question. Lol.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
Here is something else to wrap around this possibly. Heat may be a factor as well as seen in these rhodochrosite (manganese carbonate) mineral samples that got there color without exposure to sunlight. Pulled right out the dark depths displaying rich color. These examples were formed with hydrothermal heat in most cases. In some cases this rhodochrosite mineral was used as an ore of manganese. There are other minerals that are colored pink by manganese but I'll stop here.

I was told by a amethyst collector/ miner that if amethyst is subjected to sunlight for great lengths it loses its color or is diminished in color. Have you ever heard that. At the Tucson gem and mineral show in 19’ I saw so many different Amethysts from South America, Mexico, America, all very different in their color intensity and crystalline shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottle 2 Rocks

Reaction score
I was told by a amethyst collector/ miner that if amethyst is subjected to sunlight for great lengths it loses its color or is diminished in color. Have you ever heard that. At the Tucson gem and mineral show in 19’ I saw so many different Amethysts from South America, Mexico, America, all very different in their color intensity and crystalline shape.

Heat treated Amethyst is sold/marketed as Citrine, a rarer form of amber/yellow colored quartz. So a lot of the Citrine for sale today is basically fake. It takes a good bit of heat to make this change. I have never seen sunlight fade amethyst but other less stable minerals against sunlight, yes.

Bottle 2 Rocks

Reaction score

Amethyst in different color intensity is due to richer mineral ingredient at the time of crystallization, that is why you see color differences from different locales. All minerals are pure in color (clear/white) until other minerals invade the mixture and give it its color. In most cases its a metallic mineral introduced that gives a specific mineral its color (with glass making its the same). Oxidation can later occur underground (hydrothermally most of the time) and also change colors.

Bottle 2 Rocks

Reaction score

The FE iron ions that give Amethyst crystal its color can be diminished by UV rays according to studies.

Bottle 2 Rocks

Reaction score
These are the only decos I've seen (J T &A Hamilton glass works) that are amethyst. Well actually I was just remembering seeing a row of 5 different ones sold on e bay by a professorshipsalot. I do have a weird colored Lime Cola but I think it was a ice blue that was irradiated.
Ok I found that photo. These amethyst bottles used to be owned by Scott Allen Bricker. 2nd and 4th bottles made by J T and A Hamilton glassworks in the late 20's- the other 3 with manganese are from unknown maker also from the late 20's maybe early 30's.

Attachments

• 24210481_884973844993847_8300408685555081410_o amethyst row.jpg
    24210481_884973844993847_8300408685555081410_o amethyst row.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 75

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
Ok I found that photo. These amethyst bottles used to be owned by Scott Allen Bricker. 2nd and 4th bottles made by J T and A Hamilton glassworks in the late 20's- the other 3 with manganese are from unknown maker also from the late 20's maybe early 30's.

What a pretty display! Just the right amount of color.

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
Heat treated Amethyst is sold/marketed as Citrine, a rarer form of amber/yellow colored quartz. So a lot of the Citrine for sale today is basically fake. It takes a good bit of heat to make this change. I have never seen sunlight fade amethyst but other less stable minerals against sunlight, yes.

That is something I did not know, I saw some Brazilian citrine from amethyst. So that was heat treated? It sure was purdy!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown