In Bad Taste?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carobran

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with asking,If the owner doesn't want to sell all they have to do is take the time to hit 2 keys(N O) and the okay button. As long as you don't hound them to death I think its fine,though I would be more inclined to ask a less organized,less advanced collector than a more focused collector.

Brains

Reaction score
I've no problem asking if something's for sale, and i'm usually very polite. Back When i lived in Quebec , they called me........."Mr. Polite"
yep.
But then i usually get turned down by someone who vaguely knows what it is that they have, or doesn't even collect whatever it is and has hardly any intention of displaying it or paying any attention to it, so then me and my dad complain about them, but not to them, no, we complain amongst ourselves which accomplishes nothing.

I do enjoy getting offers on stuff, it makes me feel better about how much stuff is worth so that maybe one day i can retire on insulators. Except when people low-ball me on m2250
"the book says $XXX, so it's gona be $XXX, haha..."
and
"Yes i have the orange amber D513-"
-"is it for sale?"
"no"
"[:(]"

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Quoting a price from kovels or any other source to a perspective seller is a sure fire way to instill hate and discontent. [:eek:]
Ask the price, make an offer, but never tell someone what their junk is worth... thats a bozo no no...

Angelpeace

Reaction score
If I have somen to sell I say so...now if I put a pic. up and some one offers me a good price I go with that too..other wise I just say no..JAMIE

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I see no problem with asking someone POLITELY if their item is for sale. I've done it before. As long as you can take no for an answer, it shouldn't harm either party, and could instead lead to a mutually beneficial deal.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Definitely some great points made here and I see both sides. I guess to me it depends alot on the situation. I've inquired before about a bottle possibly being for sale even tho it wasn't stated it would be. There is a local bottle that one of our forum members owns that i'd love to bring back home, but the owner doesn't have any interest I don't think in getting rid of it, and that's ok. I asked and also said if it ever does become available to please let me know. [:)]

I think it would be in bad taste to hound someone over a bottle, but showing interest and asking politely if something is for sale isn't really disrespectful to me. If the answer is a No, then that should be what it is. You never know, everyone's different and it might spark up something else like "I don't want to get rid of it, but I know so and so who has one that is for sale..." It just depends on the situation I suppose.

~Tim

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Yep, hounding someone is pretty much the best way to convince the owner of it to sell it to someone else.. [;)]

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

ORIGINAL: mtfdfire22

Agreed. I had a bottle I thought I would never get rid of but, when I got a $1000.00 offer on a quart beer bottle I at first turned it down but then took 4 other quart beers and a lot of money in trade.

The thing is I needed the cash and it got me out of a bind plus I got 4 new bottles out of it. Most of the time on this site people ask how much something is worth and we tell them its not worth the sand it was made from so like cyber said I think people are flattered and maybe it will tell them they have something worth holding on to or maybe they may need the money. you never know and it never hurts to ask.

You are missing the point of the question as you  obviously already had the bottle for sale but could not get your asking price. See Joe gets it.

Maybe I should have refined the question more as,

Do you think people should ask to buy items out of your/ones  personal collection w/out giving regards to which they are part of just to satisfy there own personal wants?

Kinda like if I had an obsession about something and was so full of.........

That Escalade got a/c ?
actually you are missing the point, the bottle was not for sale and i had no asking price but what im saying is a thousand bucks is hard to turn down on something you thought was worth 1/4 of that. i never told the guy it was for sale and i never asked for an offer he just did it and even though i didnt like the initial offer we came to an agreement. Remember i turned him down the first time and it was my choice to do that and i didnt feel like he was alienating me or pressuring me into anything.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
and before anyone gets too upset i know that came off as rude but it is not meant to be. I worded it a little goofy. sorry

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac