In the water?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Newtothiss

Reaction score
For those of you that dive/snorkel for bottles, how do you go about it when there is over a foot of silt?

It's easy when part of the bottle is visible, or you can make out the vague shape, but all this silt is a problem; and disturbing it wrecks visibility for a while.

As exciting as new places are, sometimes they suck!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
For those of you that dive/snorkel for bottles, how do you go about it when there is over a foot of silt?

It's easy when part of the bottle is visible, or you can make out the vague shape, but all this silt is a problem; and disturbing it wrecks visibility for a while.

All depends on the nature of the bottom material. In thicker muck, I simply plunge my arm in, often to the extent of my reach, and feel around; or, I'll dig into it with a tool. In softer, thinner silt, I'll plunge both arms in & swim slowly forward, sweeping my arms in a "breast-stroke" fashion. I've had some good luck in both situations, and yes, you will trash the visibility, unless you're diving in an area with a good current flowing, which will take the "dust" away. You'll need to wear cut-proof gloves and a wetsuit to protect you from the possibility of sharp glass & metal. IMO, these techniques can only be done safely & efficiently on scuba.

Here's an example of one I found using the breast-stroke method ( I'm wearing a kevlar drysuit, as it was early spring and the water was pretty chilly ):

Attachments

• IMG_4471.jpeg
    IMG_4471.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 102

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I may be able to borrow some scuba gear from a friend, but after 12 ft its not enjoyable (ear problems as a kid. Can't clear my ears well while diving).

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
I may be able to borrow some scuba gear from a friend, but after 12 ft its not enjoyable (ear problems as a kid. Can't clear my ears well while diving).
If you haven't been trained in the use of scuba, I would not recommend using it until you do. I bet I could teach you how to clear your ears properly as I've dealt with this problem in my scuba students for many years. In fact, snorkelling is much harder on the 'eustachian tubes' ( they connect the throat to the middle ear and allow for equalization of gas pressure ) because of the continuous cycling up & down in the water column. If you wish to continue snorkelling your lake, then I'd stick to the shallows - a great place to look! I find many good bottles in less than 4' of water.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
My buddy was a commercial diver and tried to teach me. I can kinda clear them, but not well (or consistently).

I had tubes (ears) numerous times as a child. My ears/sinuses just don't jive with actual scuba.

I had a quick run down of scuba and have tried a couple times.
Just not in the cards...

Probably for the best.. You wouldn't know it with how much time I spend on and in the water, but I am terrified of it (too many JAWS viewings as a kid).

Fenndango

Reaction score
Be mindful of shallow water blackout if you free-dive for any length of time. I don't know how I'm not dead yet. As mentioned, SCUBA is safer.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I dive/snorkel all sorts of unsafe, I am in the very same " SS How Am I Not dead?!" boat....

I'll die whenever I am supposed to. It matters not what I'm doing, or how I'm doing it..

When it's your time, it's your time..

Life.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I dive/snorkel all sorts of unsafe, I am in the very same " SS How Am I Not dead?!" boat....

I'll die whenever I am supposed to. It matters not what I'm doing, or how I'm doing it..

When it's your time, it's your time..

Life.
Seriously.
In all honesty, I take risks seriously, and do my best to rectify them.

I try* to be safe, but at the same time, have a bit of a Devil may care attitude...

RCO

Reaction score

sometimes i'd use a wooden stick to poke around with , the spot i checked wasn't that deep with silt though but was bottles hiding in the sandy bottom , i'd often find stuff that way

but depends on the location and what % chance you honestly think there is old bottles there , the spot i checked was an old dock near an old store/hotel so % chance very high

if its some random lake and nothing historical nearby i'd say chance of old bottles being there is rather low %

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp