Incredible historic find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flasks

Reaction score
About 15 years ago my wife and I were digging a rocky and bushy bank which was only about 30 ft high. We were finding shards of early pottery and bottles but everything was broken. We continued to dig into the bank and came across a layer of small rocks we could roll or flop out of the way. We decided to get a couple more out of the way and leave as every man made thing was smashed or broken against the rocks. The last rock how-ever exposed only a brown handle of a gallon jug, Having no hope what so ever of this jug being whole, we started "ringing" it with our garden trowels. It came out whole!! There wasn't Jug.JPG a bit a damage and washing off the mud we found it was highly glaze embossed which distinguished it from any other jug we've ever seen or found. The embossing turned out to be equally as exciting as this was one of the infamous "LITTLE BROWN JUGS" that has been referred to in song and conversations for over 100 years. This was made for Mr. S.T. Suit living in a town named after him and later became known as Washington, D.C. The jug advertised the age of the whiskey being "jugged" in 1864 and sold in 1880. I wish I have taken better photos of our jug but I didn't. The word got out I had found this jug and I foolishly sold it as I just couldn't turn down the offer. What a piece of history I let go!

shotdwn

Reaction score
Great jug and story. Too bad you sold it. That would be a nice piece to own and as you said a great piece of history.

Flasks

Reaction score
Great jug and story. Too bad you sold it. That would be a nice piece to own and as you said a great piece of history.
My wife has reminded me of this mistake many times, the $$$ is long gone and the only thing I have left is a vivid memory of the find and a picture of it.

sandchip

Reaction score
Wow, what an absolutely beautiful piece. I'm sick for you that you sold it, too. As you said, the money is long gone and money cannot be enjoyed like a personally found artifact which continues to give to us, day after day. I've heard the S.T. Suit name before. Aren't there also some whiskey bottles out there embossed with that name? Thanks for sharing that great jug and story with us.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I totally feel for you. Just hearing your story makes me sick to my stomach. I too have memories like your too painful to think about. We just have to learn from our errors and move on. I think you should go back and see if the jug had any friends. ROBBYBOBBY64

Flasks

Reaction score
I totally feel for you. Just hearing your story makes me sick to my stomach. I too have memories like your too painful to think about. We just have to learn from our errors and move on. I think you should go back and see if the jug had any friends. ROBBYBOBBY64
We returned to that area several times but nothing whole. That ghost town was called Fagundas in case you're interested in the area. Very active during the 1870's and associated with oil wells. Today nothing but nature and a pot holed secondary road.

sandchip

Reaction score
I came so close to selling my best personal find many years ago. Even let the guy take the frame with it and many of my best points with him. Back then, the site those artifacts came from was still producing and I thought the ride would never end. Fortunately, I changed my mind before he paid me and got everything back. The site was declared off-limits not long after and I doubt that I'll ever come across another like it ever again. It was the place that got me started collecting Indian artifacts and over 30 years later, nothing has come close since.

banner.jpg banner1.jpg banner2.jpg

Flasks

Reaction score
Finding a banner stone that perfect and nicely shaped is a thousand to one. I once had a very large Indian relic collection hunting camp sites, shelters, stream runs and freshly plowed fields. I sold that collection but it really helped with the mortgage, 3 kids, car payments and monthly bills. I did save one piece, as pictured. The rarest and most unique piece I had was found by my friend and companion artifact hunter was this complete fossilized skeleton. He lived in Central Fl. and dove in the many springs and found a cave in one of the springs...in the back of the cave was this solid complete body burial solidified by 10,000 years of calcium and other chemicals in the water. It weighed about 60 lbs so I made a concrete base to support it upright although the burial was buried in a fetal position. He also found fantastic fossils of that era. A pastor from N.M. had to have this for his collection, so again all I have are the memories and a picture.

Attachments

• oldduck2.jpg
    oldduck2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Fossilizedskeleton.jpg
    Fossilizedskeleton.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 320

yacorie

Reaction score
I’ve dove in and around crystal springs a gazillion times when I lived in Gainesville. We found a lot of really cool artifacts but that mummified child takes the cake.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18