Incredible historic find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flasks

Reaction score
The laws are becoming very strict about removing ANY artifact in the state of FL. If it weren't for us "pot" hunters, the historic knowledge of FL wouldn't amount to 1/3rd what it is now. Before I retired and left FL, I contributed 3 substantial collections....25% of the artifacts from a gold laden Galleon off Ft. Pierce., a paleo Indian collection of artifacts from mid state and I also located and assembled a large collection of artifacts from the original fort for which Ft. Pierce is named. No one knew where the fort actually was located until I found it...fortunately it was on the edge of the city and hadn't been overtaken with concrete and asphalt. It took a long time for me to learn to keep my mouth shut when I find something but now that I'm in my 80's I don't worry about it as I can't hunt as I did all those prior 60+ years. I'd love to see some of your finds, why don't you post some?

sandchip

Reaction score
I think you're being too generous with your estimate of ⅓. Many indoctrinated, ivory tower archs today give little credit to collectors who are responsible for them even knowing about roughly 90% of the sites known today. Their love of history only goes so deep. When the funding dries up, they mysteriously dissapear. Lack of appreciation is one thing, but to actively lobby against collectors is another. With that said, there are a few genuinely good archaeologists out there. Sorry for my tirade. Here's a few pictures to get this thread back on a more enjoyable track.

20170319_154726.jpg 20170319_154737.jpg 20170319_172226.jpg20170319_172525.jpg 0823111859.jpg0823111901.jpg0831111041.jpg0831111042.jpg

Last edited:

Flasks

Reaction score
Nice pieces..always like the agatized coral points.thanks for the pictures.

Attachments

• Agatepoint - Copy.jpg
    Agatepoint - Copy.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 229

stc1993

Reaction score
Back in the late 80s I found a giant megladon tooth. It was bigger than my hand.

We were digging a pit for a 70' truck scale at a phosphate mine in Tampa.

I sold it for $75 they're worth around $1000 today.

Flasks

Reaction score
I think most of us are guilty of selling one of our "treasures"...but at the time we did what we felt was right. After all, none of us will be taking any of these items with us but were blessed to be a caretaker for awhile. Picture, when I was young, shows me holding one of 4 mammoth teeth I found that day, my hand is holding a tooth and the other the joint of a femur, tibia ?? from that animal.

Attachments

• Mammothfind..jpg
    Mammothfind..jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 230

sandchip

Reaction score
I think most of us are guilty of selling one of our "treasures"...but at the time we did what we felt was right. After all, none of us will be taking any of these items with us but were blessed to be a caretaker for awhile...

That pretty much sums it up. Well said, brother.

Bufflehead

Reaction score
I think most of us are guilty of selling one of our "treasures"...but at the time we did what we felt was right. After all, none of us will be taking any of these items with us but were blessed to be a caretaker for awhile. Picture, when I was young, shows me holding one of 4 mammoth teeth I found that day, my hand is holding a tooth and the other the joint of a femur, tibia ?? from that animal.
!

Flasks

Reaction score
I think you're being too generous with your estimate of ⅓. Many indoctrinated, ivory tower archs today give little credit to collectors who are responsible for them even knowing about roughly 90% of the sites known today. Their love of history only goes so deep. When the funding dries up, they mysteriously dissapear. Lack of appreciation is one thing, but to actively lobby against collectors is another. With that said, there are a few genuinely good archaeologists out there. Sorry for my tirade. Here's a few pictures to get this thread back on a more enjoyable track.

View attachment 203029 View attachment 203030 View attachment 203031View attachment 203032 View attachment 203033View attachment 203034View attachment 203035View attachment 203036
I don't know if you're aware of this book but if you aren't, it is a MUST HAVE, if you have any interest in early Fl inhabitants. This is a hardback book with many photos and the paper is highgrade gloss. Mr. Brown (author) is highly accurate and detailed in his writing of this book and if you dive there is a section that "diver" hunters will find much interest. I hope you get this message, if so please acknowledge. By the way....ABE'S books will probably have this book and you can usually save quite a bit over retail. Good luck, Don

Attachments

• PaleoFlorida.JPG
    PaleoFlorida.JPG
    693.3 KB · Views: 225

sandchip

Reaction score
Yessir, I have that book. It's a good one, for sure.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum