Indian Rock...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

longneck

Reaction score
I belive its a plumbit. I think it was used for making sure something was vertical, like a plumbline is today. Thats my theory anyway.

California Dream N

Reaction score
Thanks Longneck..That is a new suggestion..Actually when I look at it you could be right..thanks again...Norene. [:)]

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
I dabble in Indian Artifacts a bit and I believe longneck is dead on.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Norene, it's a Plummet that is quite valuable on it's own. I have several of them from sites up and down the valley as well as from the tidal flats of the SF Bay. If it was drilled on the end it would be called a Charmstone, a type that is even more desireable. This is an example of a Sacramento Valley Nisenan Maidu Charmstone.

ADBA3BDF32C1480F9F26E37409A17328.jpg

Attachments

• ADBA3BDF32C1480F9F26E37409A17328.jpg
    ADBA3BDF32C1480F9F26E37409A17328.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 86

California Dream N

Reaction score
Thanks so much..It took me 30 some years to find out what this was but now I am glad we kept it..What were the Maidu Indians building that they needed something like this? Mike what part of Ca. are you from? This rock was found in the Penryn area. I am a True Ca. Native..Born here and never left....Norene

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I live in Sacramento, but dig artifacts all over the area. Plummets and Charmstones were used ceremonially, often to hang over favorite fishing and hunting spots. They were also offered as burial goods and I have found them in that context, too.

Placer County is rich in Native American artifacts. Last year, we found many nice points, mortars and pestles, metates and manos, as well as lots of other great stuff fom a site we were excavating at Colfax. Near you, Clover Valley is loaded with great stuff.

Are you aware that there is a very active bottle club nearby? The 49er Historical Bottle Association meets on the last Wednesday of every month at the Loomis library. The fun begins at 7:30 PM. Our bottle show, held the 1st Saturday in December, is one of the best in the country. You have to have gone to it. With all our advertising it's impossible to miss.

California Dream N

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your info Mike..I know Clover Valley is rich in history and we did alot of digging there in the early 70's--- also at the old "Joel Parker Whitney Mansion"..Now there are security guards everywhere.... because as you know Rocklin is trying to save Clover Valley..( about 40+ years too late.) I have heard of the Historical 49er bottle Association but I have never been to one of their shows. We have always dug and found our own stuff but now with age and circumstances...We might have to buy anything we want...Our Daughter lives in Sacramento. So it realy is a small world... It is always nice to talk to someone who knows their stuff .Just for information I first visited the Mansion when I was a little girl around1957?? It held me in awe... even though it had been vacant for years.... Thanks Again.Norene..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi