Info on Theodore Steinwachs. Bottler. Henderson, KY. Hutch?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DLBrown1168

Reaction score
Not very educated in the "bottle" field. Recent find by my buddy. Manufactured in our hometown. Just curious as to a possible mfg date and the history about the bottler, himself. Would seriously doubt it has much, if any, value. More interested in the history. Thanks.
Label is embossed.
"Registered"
"Theodore Steinwachs/Bottler/Henderson, KY."
Large "S" on the bottom(almost looks like a faint "S" on the inside bottom, too). Seam goes through the lip. Hutch, I would guess. Thanks for any info.
20220108_213531.jpg
20220108_213418.jpg

Attachments

• 20220108_213455.jpg
    20220108_213455.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 78

epackage

Reaction score
Theodore Steinwach was born June 1, 1858 in Obernfhausen, Germany, he passed on Aug. 24, 1933 in Henderson. He came to America with his wife Kate in 1882, they had a daughter Anna born in 1886 and a son William in 1887.

He is listed a soda and mineral water bottler from the late 1880's into the 1920's, there is also a Hutch from him...

# 1 medicare111.jpg
# 1 medicare1111.jpg

DLBrown1168

Reaction score
Theodore Steinwach was born June 1, 1858 in Obernfhausen, Germany, he passed on Aug. 24, 1933 in Henderson. He came to America with his wife Kate in 1882, they had a daughter Anna born in 1886 and a son William in 1887.

He is listed a soda and mineral water bottler from the late 1880's into the 1920's, there is also a Hutch from him...

View attachment 233952View attachment 233953
Thanks for the response. To your credit, you've, also, found the very little bit of info that I could find on this man...and I was born and raised in the town listed on the bottle. Found a couple other photos. One from what appears to be in his bottling facility. Also, records of an employee audit at the facility. Any personal knowledge regarding the bottle in my photos?
Thanks again!

epackage

Reaction score
I a
Thanks for the response. To your credit, you've, also, found the very little bit of info that I could find on this man...and I was born and raised in the town listed on the bottle. Found a couple other photos. One from what appears to be in his bottling facility. Also, records of an employee audit at the facility. Any personal knowledge regarding the bottle in my photos?
Thanks again!
I assume it''s a 1910-20's mineral water or soda, got my info from Ancestry, I don't know much about him

willong

Reaction score
Not very educated in the "bottle" field. Recent find by my buddy. Manufactured in our hometown. Just curious as to a possible mfg date and the history about the bottler, himself. Would seriously doubt it has much, if any, value. More interested in the history. Thanks.
Label is embossed.
"Registered"
"Theodore Steinwachs/Bottler/Henderson, KY."
Large "S" on the bottom(almost looks like a faint "S" on the inside bottom, too). Seam goes through the lip. Hutch, I would guess.
Your friend's bottle has a crown closure, which was patented in 1892 and is still in common use today. see: https://sha.org/bottle/closures.htm#Crown cap

It is not a "Hutch." That is slang terminology for the "Hutchinson stopper...patented in April of 1879." see: https://sha.org/bottle/closures.htm#Hutchinson Spring Stopper

A sharper, detail photo of the lip and neck showing the mold seam(s) would help on aging. Or, simply go to https://sha.org/bottle/dating.htm and step through the bottle dating procedures. For a bit over a decade, crown closure bottles were blown in a mold and the lip was formed by hand-tooling. The Owens Automatic Bottle Machine was patented in 1903, and was rapidly adopted by the industry in the USA.*

* Double checking the dates for this reply, I stumbled upon a tidbit, hardly trivial, regarding the machine's impact on child labor. see: https://www.asme.org/about-asme/engineering-history/landmarks/86-owens-ar-bottle-machine

"Not only did they revolutionize the industry, the Owens machines ended child labor in glass-container plants. In 1913, the National Child Labor Committee of New York City said the rapid introduction of the automatic machine did more to eliminate child labor than they had been able to do through legislation."

hemihampton

Reaction score
If I had to guess a Date I'd guess around 1905 at earliest & upto the late Teens but just my Ameture guess, Crown Tops not popular yet in the pre 1900's & even though Owens invented the ABM in 1903 he didn't start selling his Machines for ABM use until 1905 is the rumor I heard. If hand finished crown top could possible date as early as 1900+. Pre 1900 possible but unlikely. All just rough guestimates & I'm sure others opinions will vary. LEON.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky