Ink Bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kaleb Pusateri

Reaction score
My friend found this in his friends back yard and took it home, it looks pretty old to me. If you want more photos I can probably have him send me more. Just wondering when it may have been made and who it might have been made by. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230213_151217.jpg
    20230213_151217.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 54

Johnny M

Reaction score
My friend found this in his friends back yard and took it home, it looks pretty old to me. If you want more photos I can probably have him send me more. Just wondering when it may have been made and who it might have been made by. Thanks in advance.
It's a nice old ink that's for sure. I have dug this style in pontil dumps and I have seen them pulled from civil war camp digs. I'm betting it's mid to late 1800s.Probably American made but I'm not an authority on stoneware inks. I would try to get to the spot it was found. Could be just a single ink hurled by an angry writer out the window into the woods when it proved empty at a critical moment or a surface find in an old dumping area. Either way, looks like it came from an old rural spot where people could have pitched stuff. Nice find! Johnny M. :)

Kaleb Pusateri

Reaction score
It's a nice old ink that's for sure. I have dug this style in pontil dumps and I have seen them pulled from civil war camp digs. I'm betting it's mid to late 1800s.Probably American made but I'm not an authority on stoneware inks. I would try to get to the spot it was found. Could be just a single ink hurled by an angry writer out the window into the woods when it proved empty at a critical moment or a surface find in an old dumping area. Either way, looks like it came from an old rural spot where people could have pitched stuff. Nice find! Johnny M. :)
I believe my friend told me that the owner of the land is not a very nice guy, but I will ask him where he found it.

Johnny M

Reaction score
I believe my friend told me that the owner of the land is not a very nice guy, but I will ask him where he found it.
Why not? Find out how it was discovered too. Surface find? Sticking out of the bank? Near a stone wall in the woods, In a shallow pool in a creek with bits of metal and china, etc? All possible clues to what may be around possibly just upstream or inches under the leaves . One of my best dumps I ever found was a country dump with absolutely nothing showing but the top and shoulders of a broken Drakes plantation grown into the exposed roots of an old tree by a stone wall. No cans, fragments or anything indicating dump there. As soon as I scratched by the wall at about 6 inches I hit a layer where I dug my first ever pontiled bottle! I was probably about 15. Good luck! Johnny M

Kaleb Pusateri

Reaction score
Why not? Find out how it was discovered too. Surface find? Sticking out of the bank? Near a stone wall in the woods, In a shallow pool in a creek with bits of metal and china, etc? All possible clues to what may be around possibly just upstream or inches under the leaves . One of my best dumps I ever found was a country dump with absolutely nothing showing but the top and shoulders of a broken Drakes plantation grown into the exposed roots of an old tree by a stone wall. No cans, fragments or anything indicating dump there. As soon as I scratched by the wall at about 6 inches I hit a layer where I dug my first ever pontiled bottle! I was probably about 15. Good luck! Johnny M
I hope to get some pontils soon, I'm 14, my friend told me a while back it was a surface find in his buddies back yard a couple years ago

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky