Ink/Pill Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
I know I posted about this before, but I am really excited about it. (I don't want to feel pesky.) The seam intrigues me- It starts at the shoulders and ends before the lip- and makes me think it's old. Here are some detailed pictures of the bottle. Could anyone please tell me an estimated age of this bottle? Thanks very much for any help.
Height
001-8.jpg

It lookes like It was handblown and rolled on a table to get its shape, but there's a seam.
002-8.jpg

Seam/lip (its a little crude)
003-7.jpg

Swirls on bottom Iron pontil? It's all so confusing...[8|]
004-3.jpg

swizzle

Reaction score
That is interesting. I'd say its a 3 piece mold with the seam disappearing into the lip when it was rolled....maybe?!? Kinda odd to have a 3 piece mold for such a small bottle though. Nice for a shoe polish bottle. Swiz

webby

Reaction score
ok i'm going to take a stab at this
and then defer to the experts,
it appears to have been made in a 3 pc. mold, ca. 1870 - 1880
the swirls on the sides and base are a result of being in the ground for many years.

tigue710

Reaction score
It's a three piece mold blown bottle, the mold consisted of a cup for the bottom and two pieces that formed the shoulder. It would date from the 1880's - 1900 and most likely held a balm salve, powdered food or chemical product or something of that type. I had one from out of a barn full of mustard seeds... I have one I found as a kid I still use with a new cork to keep opals in...

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi to all, It is a nice old bottle. The swirls on the side and the bottom puzzle me some. If they are cords of stress put in the glass by the forming they could have picked up a ground effect to create the line emphasis. They really make it interesting. RED Matthews

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
Thanks everyone... a lot. This is probably one of the most interesting bottles I have in my collection as of now. I've heard of 3 piece molds, but never saw one. It's interesting what you learn every day. This was in a box with an insulator, a 1950s pepsi, and a 1960s 7UP, so I didn't think it would be that old![:)]

helgramike

Reaction score
Hello,

The bottle was made in a 3 piece mold and the swirl lines are from minerals in the soil it was buried in. You see that effect quite commonly out here in Arizona with our akali soils. The bottle is more than likely a vasaline jar. I once dug several hundred just like it in a privy at an old brothel here in Willcox, Arizona.

Michael

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora