Insulator picker pole

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Slabbing N Cabbing

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if any serious collectors here have made a “picking pole”.
It is a device used to unscrew insulators off their pins. I imagine most are homemade, and I would be interested in seeing some pictures if anyone has one.
Here is a link to how to make one..
Insulator picking pole

Attachments

• 0C1DC8CC-3FBC-40BC-941A-CFCF75E654B1.png
    0C1DC8CC-3FBC-40BC-941A-CFCF75E654B1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 211

Old man digger

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if any serious collectors here have made a “picking pole”.
It is a device used to unscrew insulators off their pins. I imagine most are homemade, and I would be interested in seeing some pictures if anyone has one.
Insulator picking pole
Is it even legal to take those off of the poles? I'd be afraid that current might just fry your butt!!! That is a real contraption when you open that link.

Slabbing N Cabbing

Reaction score
It’s obviously only legal if you own the land/ obtain permission.
These telegraph lines are no longer electrified....

I’m not telling people to go out and touch live wires... lol

Fenndango

Reaction score
Collectors used to get fried sometimes back in the day but I think that was more high voltage stuff. Others tell me they would go out at night and walk the tracks with their fathers, shimmy up poles to grab Diamond-P's (hi Dan) and that you could hold onto the telegraph wires and feel the electricity, that it wasn't bad.

Slabbing N Cabbing

Reaction score
Yes good information, thanks..
I should mention these poles are for low voltage telegraph insulators, and/or insulators without wires attached!!
Always be safe around wires... lol

Attachments

• 0877196E-7D8C-4198-9DB9-51B5468458B3.png
    0877196E-7D8C-4198-9DB9-51B5468458B3.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 128

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Collectors used to get fried sometimes back in the day but I think that was more high voltage stuff. Others tell me they would go out at night and walk the tracks with their fathers, shimmy up poles to grab Diamond-P's (hi Dan) and that you could hold onto the telegraph wires and feel the electricity, that it wasn't bad.
Amperage is what kills not voltage.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Dewfus

"Saving The Past So It Has A Future"
Reaction score
H
Insulator picking pole
Honestly I've never seen one or heard of one and it's pure genius!!!!

nydigger

Reaction score
Insulator picking pole
I made one out of an adjustable 24 foot painters pole. Put a rubber foot off a cane on the threaded end to spin the insulators off the pin. Wrapped it in camo gorrilla tape so it didnt stand out too much.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

nydigger

Reaction score
Is it even legal to take those off of the poles? I'd be afraid that current might just fry your butt!!! That is a real contraption when you open that link.
Majority of these poles us insulators pick havent had any voltage in decades and are on abandoned lines.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi