INSULATORS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dario

Reaction score
Hello fellow bottle collectors. I started digging for bottles in 1966 and dug my first insulator in 1967. I have collected both ever since, but my passion is really insulators. I am very active in the hobby and have dug insulators in many states. I have written many articles and done research everywhere from museums to the National Archives in DC. I was awarded Outstanding Service from the NIA (National Insulator Association). And finally, I am now responsible for assigning CDs to any new glass insulator in the hobby. I love the glass. I am also here for any questions you may have. I have extensive research materials in my collection.
IMG_2074.JPG

sandchip

Reaction score
The Seiler's, the Emminger's, the aqua slash and on and on and on...the stuff of dreams! Wow...

woods_walker

Reaction score
Fifth row down and over one is a green insulator. Can you tell me more about it? A lot of those are new to me but that one really stands out. Love the holes in the glass, I haven’t seen that before on anything glass when I think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dario

Reaction score
Fifth row down and over one is a green insulator. Can you tell me more about it? A lot of those are new to me but that one really stands out. Love the holes in the glass, I haven’t seen that before on anything glass when I think about it.

Yes that is a CD687.1. It is a French "T-Bar" type insulator. L'ELECTRO VERRE is the manufacturer. It is about 100 years old and highly collectible because of it's unique shape. It was used for early electric as opposed to telephone or telegraph.

woods_walker

Reaction score
Yes that is a CD687.1. It is a French "T-Bar" type insulator. L'ELECTRO VERRE is the manufacturer. It is about 100 years old and highly collectible because of it's unique shape. It was used for early electric as opposed to telephone or telegraph.

Great information and thanks for sharing I would love to see some of your bottles sometime!

dario

Reaction score
The Seiler's, the Emminger's, the aqua slash and on and on and on...the stuff of dreams! Wow...
Yes there are some toughies here. There are also some one-of-a kinds, or one of "less than 4 known", be it condition, color, embossing, or shape. I love these stupid things. Thanks for the comment. LOL

woods_walker

Reaction score
Yes there are some toughies here. There are also some one-of-a kinds, or one of "less than 4 known", be it condition, color, embossing, or shape. I love these stupid things. Thanks for the comment. LOL

I’ve shared this before on the forum but I received a response saying it was common. I could see that because there are no makers marks on it and it’s just a plain insulator.... It just seems to be so old and crude and I have been unable to find another like it online. Could you pass along any info on this one?
b2d62b9ce1c7d3b37c34823c3639021c.jpg

dario

Reaction score
Great information and thanks for sharing I would love to see some of your bottles sometime!

Thank you. It is one of only four foreign insulators in this display. I put the four foreign insulators in because of their unique shapes. It always amazed me how mankind could come up with 500 ways of doing the exact same thing. Not like in bottles where there were different ingredients and advertising; this is just a piece of glass on a pin designed to stop the conductivity of a wire. LOL

dario

Reaction score
I’ve shared this before on the forum but I received a response saying it was common. I could see that because there are no makers marks on it and it’s just a plain insulator.... It just seems to be so old and crude and I have been unable to find another like it online. Could you pass along any info on this one?
b2d62b9ce1c7d3b37c34823c3639021c.jpg

Yes that is a U73, no-name, porcelain insulator likely made in Pittsburgh, PA. I would say it is at least 100 years old. It is a pony type usually used for communications as opposed to electric only. They are fairly common and book for about $5 to $10. That piece however, due to its excellent condition, and super crudeness would probably fetch much more. I would guess in the $50 to $100 range. That is a "one-of-a-kind" of sorts and has what we call a cool factor which is what can add a zero to the value. We use U numbers as opposed to CDs in glass to identify porcelain insulators. Thank you. Dario

woods_walker

Reaction score
Yes that is a U73, no-name, porcelain insulator likely made in Pittsburgh, PA. I would say it is at least 100 years old. It is a pony type usually used for communications as opposed to electric only. They are fairly common and book for about $5 to $10. That piece however, due to its excellent condition, and super crudeness would probably fetch much more. I would guess in the $50 to $100 range. That is a "one-of-a-kind" of sorts and has what we call a cool factor which is what can add a zero to the value. We use U numbers as opposed to CDs in glass to identify porcelain insulators. Thank you. Dario

Thanks that really clears things up! I’m not someone to care about value and I dig most of what I collect. As you know digging these fragile items can sometimes mean there’s damage. Unfortunately that insulator does have a piece missing out of its backside. But it still displays nicely and that’s all I care about!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu