Interesting jar with a lid on the top and bottom, or sides...PAT APPLIED FOR

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JDMac270

Reaction score
I have this jar that was dug years ago and I recently unboxed it. It's only Embossed PAT APPLIED FOR
The jar has a lid on each end. Top is a smooth lip. I say top because the embossing would be read correctly that way but i'm guessing this jar would sit on its side. Bottom is a ground lip. Round in the middle with 6 sides on the shoulder on each end.
Any info anyone might have would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-5219.jpg
    IMG-5219.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG-5220.jpg
    IMG-5220.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG-5224.jpg
    IMG-5224.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 134

shotdwn

Reaction score
Looks like it could be the globe part for a wall mount coffee grinder. One end would screw into the metal grinder part. The other end would be where you poured the coffee beans into.

JDMac270

Reaction score
I kind of thought it might have to do with coffee somehow. I think you could be right! Thank you

mrechenard

Reaction score
I have the same thought about this jar but usually the top end of the coffee grinder jars were larger than the base portion that attached to the grinder.

JDMac270

Reaction score
It does get you to thinking. Why the 6 sides on the shoulders? It appears to me that it was made that way to lay on the flat sides of the shoulders. I could be completely wrong too. The glass is pretty heavy. The openings are the same size on each end. And why one end with a ground lip and the other smooth.

mrechenard

Reaction score
I have this jar that was dug years ago and I recently unboxed it. It's only Embossed PAT APPLIED FOR
The jar has a lid on each end. Top is a smooth lip. I say top because the embossing would be read correctly that way but i'm guessing this jar would sit on its side. Bottom is a ground lip. Round in the middle with 6 sides on the shoulder on each end.
Any info anyone might have would be much appreciated.
this looks like it would glow under a black light. have you tried that? would indicate pre 19150

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi