Iron pontilled Mineral Water

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
Sometimes the tooling of the top can change the hardness of the surface of the glass, much like turn mold bottles which in my experience seem to be slightly more resistant to staining than non-turn mold. Either that or somebody epoxied the top of another bottle onto a broken one, then ground the top, then planted it in the old chicken coop just for a laugh on you. Probably filmed it and posted it on Youtube. In all seriousness, I think it looks great, and all original.

American

Reaction score
The way it was found would discount any post alterations of the soda it would seem, but it looks like the neck is too short and it reminds me of all the Savannah bottles with replaced tops. The instant giveaway on those Savannah bottles is that short neck. If the top has been replaced you can also feel the separation with your finger inside the neck, and ultimately a little firm twist on the top will pop that replaced top right off.

willong

Reaction score
Sometimes the tooling of the top can change the hardness of the surface of the glass, much like turn mold bottles which in my experience seem to be slightly more resistant to staining than non-turn mold. Either that or somebody epoxied the top of another bottle onto a broken one, then ground the top, then planted it in the old chicken coop just for a laugh on you. Probably filmed it and posted it on Youtube. In all seriousness, I think it looks great, and all original.

I think you nailed the reason for the different appearance--with your lead in speculation that is. The second theory sounds a bit specious.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Just to tack on to this post, the below bottle was unearthed in Galveston, Texas yesterday. Absolutely love the lip!

Attachments

• M Mineral Water1.jpg
    M Mineral Water1.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 87
  • M Mineral Water2.jpg
    M Mineral Water2.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 82

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
The wedge style lip suggests 1840s, the overall shape of the bottle suggests 1850s. I'd date the bottle to about 1850 give or take a year or two. Blue became popular by the late 1840s but gained it's most popularity during the 1850s. By the 1870s blue sodas were becoming uncommon and more or less disappeared by the 1880s. The lip has a somewhat non standard, fat shape which suggests it may have used an off brand patented closure. An interesting, not so usual bottle. Bottles with initials vs a name are often hard to identify. From my experience there is always someone lurking out there in bottle collector land who will know and eventually ID the bottle for you.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1