Is ‘mud treading’ commonplace in the USA?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MountainMan304

Reaction score
Morgantown West Virginia.
I don’t know what the mud is like over there here it tends to be deep and bottles wont move since they were discarded.

From what I’ve been told there is a difference between mud-larking and mud-treading the main difference being mud treading involves finding bottles you cannot see by feel either by stepping on them in the mud or with your specially built probe.
Sorry, I'm late to this discussion but I can speak on the depth/clarity of the Monongahela River as someone who has visited friends at WVU quite a bit. First, the river is at an average depth of 20 feet, so not quite walkable. It's also very, very muddy as most rivers in WV are, so diving would be ill-advised. In all honesty, it's dirty too (at least downstream of WVU and Morgantown). I'd try to find a shallower river or creek that's a tributary of the Monongahela. Unfortunately, another fact of WV is that most rivers and streams are either muddy or their currents are so strong that it can be dangerous to walk them (e.g., the New River), some can be polluted with mining-related chemicals, or very susceptible to flash flooding; a fast and hard rain could easily mean death in some places (see the flooding in Greenbrier 2016--the deadliest flash flooding in US history and one of the worst floods in general in WV history).

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi