is it real

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle rebel

Reaction score
just got this jar. never saw this color.is it real.
IMG_2502.JPG

timeandabottle

Reaction score
Jars were used over and over so it should have obvious signs of wear on the base. If it looks brand new, it probably is. You may have a nice one though but it’s too difficult to tell from one photo.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Somewhere, I have a pint, amber, "fruit jar" from the 1930s or so but doubt it was an Atlas. I do remember it was used in a medical mode to store clean bandages, etc. Maybe put out by J + J in connection with the Red Cross.

Two questions. How does one irradiate the pictured jar with the bail still intact? Secondly, is it possible to get colors other than purple?? (Be gentle, old guy here. ;)) Thx.

icollectfruitjars

Reaction score
Pretty sure this one is irradiated. Manganese used to be added, which would eventually turn pinkish to purple depending on the amount. Selenium was then used and would usually turn a "motor oil" amber when irradiated. There may have been other additives after that.

Reactions: Roy

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Perhaps after taking that 1 pill with every vitamin in it daily, we should be slightly wary of the dental X-ray machine. :)

Reactions: Roy

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Somewhere, I have a pint, amber, "fruit jar" from the 1930s or so but doubt it was an Atlas. I do remember it was used in a medical mode to store clean bandages, etc. Maybe put out by J + J in connection with the Red Cross.

Two questions. How does one irradiate the pictured jar with the bail still intact? Secondly, is it possible to get colors other than purple?? (Be gentle, old guy here. ;)) Thx.
Real amber jars don't resemble the irradiated brown color in any way. When manganese was used as the clarifier, jars would eventually turn amethyst in the sun. Those same jars when irradiated will turn a deep purple. in the early 1900s they started using selenium as the clarifier. Jars containing selenium will turn yellowish or kinda peachy in the sun and those are the ones that turn brown when irradiated. I'm attaching a photo of an an amber gauze jar as you describe and you can see that it's a distinctly different color.

Attachments

• 1343 Johnson & Johnson Label side.JPG
    1343 Johnson & Johnson Label side.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 55

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado