Is it worth digging?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Troutmaster08

Reaction score
Have any of you ever dug near the site of an old steel mill. I know of one but it is near a pretty developed area but I believe it could have something. What do you think?

woods_walker

Reaction score
Have any of you ever dug near the site of an old steel mill. I know of one but it is near a pretty developed area but I believe it could have something. What do you think?

What year did it open and shut down? If your not breaking the law by trespassing I would go out to check it in person. Try researching the mill and check out any old maps of the place you can find. Should give you an idea of where to look when you get there. Keep an eye out for shards of glass that can help date the age of the stuff your might find. I would also check the creek or the river banks if there is one near by. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woods_walker

Reaction score
One more thing to add is that there’s nothing wrong about coming home empty handed to. If you go check it out and don’t find anything it’s no big deal just cross it off your list and move on the the next spot. I have more bad days than good and it makes me appreciate the common bottles even more when I can find them!

Troutmaster08

Reaction score
What year did it open and shut down? If your not breaking the law by trespassing I would go out to check it in person. Try researching the mill and check out any old maps of the place you can find. Should give you an idea of where to look when you get there. Keep an eye out for shards of glass that can help date the age of the stuff your might find. I would also check the creek or the river banks if there is one near by. Best of luck to you!

I do not know the name of it but I believe that it was destroyed during the Battle of Nashville. The area around it has many slave built walls and structures.

J.R. Collector

Nomad Bottle Collector
Reaction score
Sounds like a good place to check and I also agree that coming home empty handed is all part of hunting. It happens alot down here but it's just a place crossed off the list

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
Dig along the foundation and screen the dirt for coins , marbles or other small stuff. Also, look for a possible privvy site. There was probably a spot where trash was dumped nearby also. There was an archeological excavation done on an old railroad repair shop near here and they found a ton of stuff Those shops operated from 1865 to 1930,

American

Reaction score
I do not know the name of it but I believe that it was destroyed during the Battle of Nashville. The area around it has many slave built walls and structures.
You are talking about an IRON furnace if it is that old. Definitely worth probing around if you are allowed.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora