Is this a good buy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

delphinis

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I saw this stoneware jug at a thrift store for $28. I didn't buy it. Thought I'd consult the forum first to see if it was a good price. I didn't take a picture of it but I found a picture of one just like it on the internet and included it below. There's a small maker's stamp on the back that reads "Sherwood Bros. New Brighton, PA" I did a little research and found that Sherwood Brothers was founded in 1879 and went out of business in 1939. And that "for most of its existence Sherwood Brothers had a highly skilled force of pottery workers and artisans. Unlike other American potteries of the time, this firm had mastered the art of the underglaze transfer" I was wondering what the value range would be for this jug. It's in excellent condition with no chips or scratches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony

9CCB3C6E3C1041EA814E902099F7ADE0.jpg

Attachments

• 9CCB3C6E3C1041EA814E902099F7ADE0.jpg
    9CCB3C6E3C1041EA814E902099F7ADE0.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 67

sandchip

Reaction score
Gee, I really don't know but if you like it and plan on keeping it, maybe so. I'd probably see if they'd take 20 and see what happens. Probably folks here who know more about it than me. Good luck.

epackage

Reaction score
I'd pay double that if it were a Paterson jug, but after seeing this I assume they are common or unwanted by the masses, if you like it I say buy it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTON-MA-STONEWARE-JUG-H-A-JOHNSON-CO-BAKERS-CONFECTIONERS-SUPPLIES-/350876235772?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item51b1da77fc&nma=true&si=Vd5MQ%252BedlaYOqt9n0mxOyRAv%252FUc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The top style looks late in the making but it's a nice jug. If a collected I'd think about it but it's a little over priced IMO. You never can tell though, a home decorator may know just the person and pay twice that so it may not be there tomorrow.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I have at least ten jugs in my collection and at this point in time I know that two were my Mom's, The others followed me home because I liked them. I have one that is embossed for John Matthews and his NY City syrup operations. I have no idea of it' value but, it sits there in a distinguished position in my NY dining room. I just think that values are not a big thing to consider. RED Matthews

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Sorry that this is off the point a bit but Red, my guess is that the Matthews jug would have a special place in the hearts of bottle collectors as a great go-with or matching item. Any jug from a soda bottler or proprietor should have increased collectability and value - I would think. You're right in one sense that value doesn't matter much if you love something. But I suppose it is good to know just in case so that you can keep on the fair side in a sale or trade....

antlerman23

Reaction score
if I saw it a t a flea id offer $20 but id do $28 if that's the best I could do.
it is an attractive stenciled jug after all. [:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora