Is this a good buy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
RE: Is this a good buy?
No, not at all. It was rather APITA to change but fun in a small way.[:D]
ORIGINAL: lilianjie

I have at least ten containers in my selection and presently I know that two were my Mothers, The others followed me house because I liked them. I have one that is printed for RS Gold David Matthews and his NY Town syrup WOW Gold Buy functions. I have no concept of it' value but, it rests there in a recognized place in my NY cusine area. I just think that principles are not a big factor to WOW Gold For Sale consider.

NHkeith

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTON-MA-STONEWARE-JUG-H-A-JOHNSON-CO-BAKERS-CONFECTIONERS-SUPPLIES-/350876235772?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item51b1da77fc&nma=true&si=Vd5MQ%252BedlaYOqt9n0mxOyRAv%252FUc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

based on this it looks like buyer on ebay paid about 28$ also.

9.08 s/h
-----------
28.58$

I am a sucker for local bottles/antiques. If it were me and it was a NH related jug for 28, and I didn't have it in my collection.
don't buy in the hopes of selling and profiting (maybe 10-20 years from today)

A). look to see if I could get it cheaper somewhere else
B). try making a lower offer (even a few bucks) ask the antique shop if there is any negotiating. At my local shop the people put a small discount on things "dealer discount", and when I ask them they often give me the 2-3$ discount.
C). pay it and enjoy the Jug

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: delphinis

Hi Everyone
I saw this stoneware jug at a thrift store for $28. I didn't buy it. Thought I'd consult the forum first to see if it was a good price. I didn't take a picture of it but I found a picture of one just like it on the internet and included it below. There's a small maker's stamp on the back that reads "Sherwood Bros. New Brighton, PA" I did a little research and found that Sherwood Brothers was founded in 1879 and went out of business in 1939. And that "for most of its existence Sherwood Brothers had a highly skilled force of pottery workers and artisans. Unlike other American potteries of the time, this firm had mastered the art of the underglaze transfer" I was wondering what the value range would be for this jug. It's in excellent condition with no chips or scratches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony

9CCB3C6E3C1041EA814E902099F7ADE0.jpg

I am guessing since it is from a bakers conf. it held molasses?HEY I like it and I saw it at a place I would buy it..but it would only be worth that if local or at least ATLANTA [60 miles away]...that way I know I could always sell it and at least get my money back...JAMIE

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky