Is this black glass with pontil mark?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
PS- Forgot to address your question, yes, they often buried the dumpsite and at times accidently dumped years later on the same spot, not knowing of the previous activity. What made a good dumpsite 100 years ago often makes a good one today. Some old town dumps have clear age layers where it may have been used for years, stopped and then reused later. In Quincy Il., I discovered that some neighborhoods had their own dump lots, where about a 10 block area used a particular site to discard. It answered why some areas, entire blocks sometimes have privies with nothing, or even no privies at all. I noticed on the old Sanborn maps that some neighborhoods were well built on, and suddenly in the middle there was a block, or half a block with nothing. No houses, nothing. After probing, it was discovered it was the privy lot for the neighborhood. It pays to be thourough and determined in the search. I hate waking in the middle of the night wondering the missed possibilities, so I am doggedly determined to turn over every rock. Determination will yeild piece of mind (and a strong back) if nothing else.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
When hunting for bottles, it is often like looking for gold.....it's where you find them. Once, I hunted an old house that had been hunted before me. I caught a glint of something shiny under a plant near the front door and when I pulled back the overgrowth, I discovered a row of old turn mold chianti round bottom bottles, buried upside down to create a terrarium type border for a flower garden. 23 in all, 2 were special, one an olive green with some amber swirling, and one with an acid etched label from Sienna Italy. You never know what or where you might find something.....

Bumpa66

Reaction score
Thanks for all your iformation. I will go back and probe that site and dig some test holes. Maybe I will get lucky and there will be more underneath.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac