Is this genuine?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JonoFlatt

Reaction score
I bought this at a local boot sale thinking maybe it was genuine roman buried glass. It shows traces of fire in the body of the item, however the glass at the bottom where it was sheared is clear. Any opinions welcome?
tempImagePZAnwr.png
tempImagePNfxcj.png
tempImage1HgGtq.png
tempImage8m4LwQ.png
tempImage5AOfSf.png
tempImagepnD8d8.png
tempImageCJ1mH5.png

nhpharm

Reaction score
Lots of that stuff floating around that is reproductions...probably 90+% of the market. The base does look a little suspect but I am no expert. Roman glass should always be acquired from trusted sources is all I can suggest...

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Roman glass was fired at a lower temperature than glass we know of today. If you l gently tap on it with a key in should not be high pitched or ring at all. The glass has crystallized after all that time in the ground and should tink but still sound dead with no ring. Does the iridescence come off on your hands, it should. Look carefully, does anything look coated. Can use a little acetone to see if you can remove the color etc. I have seen fakes that use colored grout to simulate age they usually mixed with dried grass. Looks like crusted on soil/ oxidation.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I bought this at a local boot sale thinking maybe it was genuine roman buried glass. It shows traces of fire in the body of the item, however the glass at the bottom where it was sheared is clear. Any opinions welcome?View attachment 217077View attachment 217078View attachment 217079View attachment 217080View attachment 217081View attachment 217082View attachment 217083
How big is it? They were usually small. Almost tiny. There were large vessels but they are extra expensive.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

bottles_inc

Reaction score
The patina looks super off. The pattern of where it is random and all over the place, and there's parts where there's none at all. Patina is generally pretty consistent. Just my 2 cents

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Even if it is a fantasy piece it still looks pretty nice. I would be suspicious of it as a genuine ROMAN glass for your reasoning. There are many unscrupulous folks out there who are willing taking advantage of others. I'm sure demand for Roman glass is greater than what is available for purchase. Thus a niche is created for exploitation. Sad really. Buyer beware.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
If real i would say maybe $200. If it is a replica it still has value but I don't know what that would be.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Shades of History

Reaction score
That looks exactly like a lot of ones I see on eBay being sold out of Thailand for prices that seem a little too good. I'm no expert, but there's a very good chance its a replica, but still a chance it could be legit. I wouldn't even consider myself an "expert" per se on 19th century bottles, but way less so with ancient.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Exactly, Thailand. Lots of Roman stuff being discovered. Even more rip-offs.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi