Is this Pepsi-Cola bottle from the 1930s?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

villeguy

Reaction score
Found this inside the wall of a house in Baltimore that was built in 1938.

Name on bottle: Pepsi=Cola (with double dot in logo)
Printed on bottom: "Pepsi-Cola," "Trademark" and "3"
Height: 9 5/8"
Capacity: It holds 14 oz., but maybe it was sold as 12 oz.?
The top 2 1/2 in. of the neck is frosted, with no lettering or symbols of any kind.

I'd like to know what year it's from, and what it might be worth.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

• IMG_7418.JPG
    IMG_7418.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7419.JPG
    IMG_7419.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7420.JPG
    IMG_7420.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7421.JPG
    IMG_7421.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 153

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! 1938 definitely looks about right for that bottle. Doesn't seem to have a date code so hard to narrow it down to an exact year, but Pepsi was using paper label bottles like that in the 30s. As for value I have no idea, doesn't look like the type of paper label Pepsi I'm familiar with but I'm no expert on them.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Pepsi had alot of different odd ball shapes & styles (not with paper labels or ACL) in the 30's & 40's, Some of them pretty tough but I'm not all that familar with them. LEON.

Burkenhill

Reaction score
Found this inside the wall of a house in Baltimore that was built in 1938.

Name on bottle: Pepsi=Cola (with double dot in logo)
Printed on bottom: "Pepsi-Cola," "Trademark" and "3"
Height: 9 5/8"
Capacity: It holds 14 oz., but maybe it was sold as 12 oz.?
The top 2 1/2 in. of the neck is frosted, with no lettering or symbols of any kind.

I'd like to know what year it's from, and what it might be worth.
Thanks in advance for any info.
This is from the 1930's and as late as early 1941 when Pepsi standardized their bottle to what is called the wave bottle with Pepsi-Cola in embossed script vertically 6 times around the neck and shoulder. There are a number of examples of bottles like yours in James C. Ayers's book, Pepsi:Cola Bottles Collectors Guide. On your bottle there is the smooth glass above the Pepsi-Cola in script around the shoulder. That is where the paper neck label would have gone. Below the embossed Pepsi-Cola is the main smooth glass area where the main paper label would have gone. The 12 oz bottle became popular in the early 1930's, particularly when Pepsi was competing against Coca-Cola and started offering twice as much for the same price as the 6 oz Coke. The famous Pepsi jingle came from this era with the words, "Pepsi-Cola hits the spot, 12 full ounces that a lot. Twice as much for a nickel too, Pepsi-Cola is the drink for you." I'm not sure of the value but would guess and say $30-$50. If it had the original labels, value would go way up.

iggyworf

Reaction score
After checking thru my 2 Ayers guide, I did find a candidate for this one. So I might have been wrong in my first assumption about it being a replica. Almost all bottles like this one have the city embossed on the bottom. But on page 136 of Ayers vol 1 there is one bottle like yours. NC12,(stands for No City) 1930's rarity 1. It lists it for 40$, but that was back in 1995.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky