Is This Some Sort of Industrial Token?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
"You have what is called a "Hard Times Token" popular between 1832-1844, also know as Political Token or Store cards. These privately minted coins ranged in topics from Politics to commercial advertising. We offer a book published by Whitman Publishing on this topic. "The Official Red Book A Guide Book of Hard Times Tokens" http://www.jakesmp.com/CSD_Books/CSD_Bks_217_M.html

"Often some designs were made with several variations of text and designs making attributing these difficult unless hands on sight seen. " A man named Micheal said this. He's on a G+ Community for coins and tokens.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Store card is what was listed in the link I posted. I never heard of it but then I don't collect coins, tokens and such. It is fun to learn though.[:)]

logueb

Reaction score
Thought you may be interested in the rest of the info that I found on The Troy Air Furnace. The N. Starbucks appears to be Nathenial Starbuck from the article about Troy Stoves. Hope this adds a little history. Great token. Buster Troy has been a well-known seat of the manufacture of stoves for
nearly three-quarters of a century [1818-1891]. The casting of stove plates for
inventors and dealers was begun in 1821 by Starbucks & Gurley (Charles
STARBUCK, Nathaniel STARBUCK and Ephraim GURLEY),
succeeding that year Hanks, Gurley & Co. (Alpheus HANKS, Truman HANKS and
Ephraim Gurley - the builders of the first foundry in the city, the Troy Air
Furnace, in 1818, on the south-east corner of Fifth and Grand Division streets),
and [was continued] in 1828 by L. STRATTON & Son, successors of NAZRO &
CURTIS, who erected, in 1823, the Eagle Furnace, afterward known as the
Rensselaer Furnace, No. 42 Fifth Street. The value of the stoves cast in the two
foundries in 1828 was estimated at $120,000; of those cast in the seven
foundries in the city in 1855, at $1,000,000; and of those cast in the five
foundries in the city in 1888, at $2,000,000.

glass man

Reaction score
Here in the SOUTH tokens for some places ..like COTTON MILLS were given for pay instead of money and could only be used at the COMPANY STORE.where the prices were inflated keeping the workers constantly in debt to the COMPANY...like the line in one of TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD'S song goes "I OWE MY SOUL TO THE COMPANY STORE".also they provided housing that kept the people in debt...most of these COMPANIES moved from up NORTH after the CIVIL WAR to take advantage of the poor including children..like my GRAND DAD that went to work in a COTTON MILL in 1895 at age 5 years old

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I've heard of that. I did a piece on Child Labor in the early 1900s once. It was just socially acceptable, and greedy got greedier in depths of saved riches. Then people revolted against it and won the day in the end. Happily never after nonetheless. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac